Mini lathe belt tracking

Thread: Mini lathe belt tracking

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mini lathe belt tracking

Hi,

I just finished tapered bearings headstock mod, and it work very fine.
    After that, I figured that there is some squealing noise coming from the motor area. It was present before bearing change, just I didn't notice it.

So I removed motor, and find that front bearing is in bad condition. Replaced, no problem, but then I hit the wall.
    What kind of sick mind "engineered" adjusting system for the belt tension and tracking?
    On newer lathes, I see it is changed so it is not so bad, but on mine it is just 4 bolts. Two on motor housing and two on late bad.
    Mini lathe belt tracking-motor_bolts2_y-jpg Mini lathe belt tracking-motor_mount_y-jpg
    It should work in a way that two bolts on the lathe bad tension the belt and two on motor housing adjust tracking in horizontal plane.
    This is just near to impossible to achieve.

Does anyone have success doing it? And how?
    And, maybe there is some clever solution to mod it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Yepp it is another peice of crap engineering on these lathes. I just fiddled around with it till it was aligned. After I blew up the chinese motor, I ditched the whole system and replaced it with a 550W 3ph motor and a VFD.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Motor change + VFD is good solution, just I couldn't find it around. Do you get "kit" or just combine parts by yourself?

Other solution I'm thinking of is to make speed reducer acording to Ralph Patterson plan (maybe moded little bit). As add on to speed reduce/torque increase I will get system that is much easier to align.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought a motor and vfd off Ebay, and made a temporary pulley set up and used the lathe to make it's own final set of pulleys. It is running direct to a pulley on the spindle. I removed the intermediate shaft, although I am considering putting it back in and using metal high/low gears to get more torque and lower speeds.

This thread has photos of my current set up...
    BackyardMetalcasting.com - Lionel's Laboratory :: View topic - Hot short and surface finish

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job.
    Just a little too big for my use, and it require CNC.
    I can't find source for those fine little brushless motors that are fitted to sieg SC2, and appropriate electronic for 220V.
    If I'm right, there is 110V retrofit version on LMS: LittleMachineShop.com - HiTorqe Retrofit Drive System, 500 Watt.
    Bit pricey, but...