Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?

Thread: Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?

Hi Guys, I have a 1999 vm 16 with a centurion 6 processor with the rigid tap option... Recently my machine quit rigid tapping, it used to rigid tap fine from my fusion 360 cam posts but now it rapids to the "R" return height point and just sits there spinning the spindle, it also will not rigid tap in a conversational program it does the same thing, it will do a soft tap and reverse the spindle for whatever that's worth... anyone have any ideas? I have tried reloading the original machine parameters thinking my coworker may have gotten into a parameter and changed something but that didnt fix it, any ideas woud be greatly appreciated.

here is the code the is being sent to the control...

O1001 (RIGID TAP)
    (T3 D=0.25 CR=0 - ZMIN=-0.52 - RIGHT HAND TAP)
    N1 G90 G94 G17
    N2 G20
    N3 G32
    (DRILL5)
    N4 T3 M6
    N5 S300 M3
    N6 G55
    N7 M8
    N8 G0 X0.9097 Y-0.7169
    N9 G43 Z0.6 H3
    N10 G0 Z0.2
    N11 G98 G88 X0.9097 Y-0.7169 Z-0.52 R0.18 P0 F0.05
    N12 X2.2831 Y-2.0903
    N13 G80
    N14 Z0.6
    N15 M9
    N16 G32
    N17 G28 G91 X0 Y0
    N18 G90
    N19 M30

here is the screen the control shows when its just stuck in the "R" return height position

Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?-control-screen-2-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?-control-screen-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?

What size tap are you using? You have to make sure fusion is outputting the feed correctly. I had to edit my post a few years ago to make sure it was correct. Also check your spindle encoder count in your parameters. It should not be zero. And verify that your encoder is working at all. Those would be the things I would check.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Check your spindle encoder, if this work before with your cam and suddenly stopped most logical is is the spindle encoder

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cbChris View Post
    What size tap are you using? You have to make sure fusion is outputting the feed correctly. I had to edit my post a few years ago to make sure it was correct. Also check your spindle encoder count in your parameters. It should not be zero. And verify that your encoder is working at all. Those would be the things I would check.

Hi thanks for the reply, im using a 1/4-20 tap in this instance so the feed output on line N11 should be F.05 right (1/20)? Im not sure which parameter the spindle encoder number gets pushed into but when i go to the diagnostics screen i can rotate the spindle by hand and i can see the encoder counting up and down smoothly depending on which way i turn the spindle....

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi thanks for the reply, i checked the spindle encoder tonight under the diag screen and i could see it count up and down smooth by rotating it by hand, does that number get stored into a parameter that i should check somewhere? Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

ok so i found where the encoders ppu was under set up, it looks right to me at 2000 in the ppu, heres a pic of what im seeing...Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?-encoder-info-setup-parameters-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milltronics VM 16 wont rigid tap anymore?-encoder-info-setup-parameters-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is the parameter I was talking about and I believe that 2000 is the correct value. The feed rate is right for a 20 pitch tap. I think I've had this happen before but I can't remember for sure why. If you have an old program that has worked before I would try that. Fusion does have a habit of updating the posts on occasion and if you don't make sure to keep a specific one selected then you can run into problems. You might try a G63 (I think) is tapping mode, before the tapping cycle. Its modal, so make sure to switch back. It overrides feed and speed during the tapping cycle to make sure its at 100%. Also might check ipr vs ipm. I think that one is modal also. I'll try to look at a known good program of mine tomorrow evening and post up the code if you haven't gotten it working by then.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cbChris View Post
    That is the parameter I was talking about and I believe that 2000 is the correct value. The feed rate is right for a 20 pitch tap. I think I've had this happen before but I can't remember for sure why. If you have an old program that has worked before I would try that. Fusion does have a habit of updating the posts on occasion and if you don't make sure to keep a specific one selected then you can run into problems. You might try a G63 (I think) is tapping mode, before the tapping cycle. Its modal, so make sure to switch back. It overrides feed and speed during the tapping cycle to make sure its at 100%. Also might check ipr vs ipm. I think that one is modal also. I'll try to look at a known good program of mine tomorrow evening and post up the code if you haven't gotten it working by then.

Hi Chris, i noticed that the post is calling for ipm which iim not sureis right or not, should i change it to ipr and try it?

Downloads
    Uploads

...I'm not a Mtronics guy but, just for hell of it,,,,,try changing line N5 to S300M5 and see what happens starting with spindle off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a section of a program that I used about a week ago. Works on my Centurion 5 control with rigid tapping. I'm using G99 in this particular program but it shouldn't make a difference. I would try to just hand jam a quick test program and run one hole using mine as a template.

Are you by chance running in DNC? I think that's where I had a problem like this before. My control is screwy and doesn't like DNC for some reason and I haven't had a chance to figure it out yet. Runs fine when the program is loaded directly into the control.