Need Help! I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.

Thread: I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.

My mill is VK05 Series F date stamp 727.

The machine was running beautifully until I moved to new workshop and it's been broken for over a year despite me failed repair attempts. I am now reaching out for help from you experts.
    Here is the background story:
    My memory is a little bit muddle as to whether it ever actually worked in the new workshop but after the move, the crt was screwed up so I decided to swap it out for a lcd. I cut the hole in the panel a little bit bigger for the lcd and set the the lcd which worked first time. However after reassembly, a keyboard error was thrown on boot. Checking this out showed that I unwittingly knicked the ribbon cable on the kybenc card. I repaired this and thoroughly tested the cable (and all the other cables and pcb) for shorts and continuity and all tested fine. However the keyboard still not working. I can only assume I blew something on the board when I fire it up with the damage cable.
    I tried plugging a pc keyboard into the aux keyboard connector on the kybenc card but it doesn't see it. I plugged the pc keyboard into the motherboard (plugging out the panel keyboard cable) and now we can boot.

So now I get an error 450. Alt-f10 does nothing. I can move the wheels and the dro updates on screen. Pressing esc removes the error but I still don't hear the thump of the motors kicking in. The screen changes to to the xy display with the list of fkey on the bottom.
    If I press any fkey, the program just seems to freeze. i.e. when I move the wheels, the dros do not update and the graphic xy does not update; the f menu list does not change either. Pressing any key at all makes them update again but the menus never change so I cannot go into F10 Utils for example. The reset buttondoes nothing, atl-f10+reset does nothing and the estop does nothing.

At the back of the machine, cr29 watchdog relay is active and so is cr1a.

So, assuming the kybenc is ber, any ideas on what I can do?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_123402-jpg   I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_123327-jpg   I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_123346-jpg   I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_123538-jpg  

I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_123604-jpg   I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_123418-jpg   I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_143804-jpg   I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_143751-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.

More info I have attached some diagrams I've been working from. I'm not sure they are for my exact model but they seem to fit.
    I checked at FPP12 (pink wire) and with the estop out, it has 24v. With the estop pressed in, it is ov.

There is 24v at ffp7 (green) and fpp2 blue regardless of estop or reset position.

I can't see what the reset button is doing from these diagrams. It would appear that as long as the overtravel switches are not activated (assuming N/C) then there is always 24v on both sides of the reset switch.

Maybe I'm missing something or is reset only active during overtravel?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_163332-jpg   I broke my VK05 Centurion VI. Need some help please.-20210122_163322-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

EStop action looks good. Activated EStop disrupts +24V line in series with limit switches. It is exactly according safety standard.
    Check the original keyboard connected to PC. Maybe it is still alive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Algirdas. Yeah, I'm happy that estop will work. I just need to get the reset to work.

I notice that the dro on z reads a little over 80. I believe 80 is the limit. It has not reached the limit switches though but maybe the machine believes it is at a limit. Is there a way to mechanically or electrically move the z axis? Perhaps this will clear the error 450? I cannot get into the menus to zero the axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, you can move Z axis by hand. Switch mains power off. Now you need access either to ballscrew from processing area - opening Z samurai or get access to Z axis ballscrew end. Ballscrew you can rotate with hand in protective glove.
    Many lathe builders provide possibility to move axis rotating the ballscrew from the end. You need some tool for that, however. It can be quite special. So, I advice to move the ballscrew by hand from side.
    Should not be hard. Check if the Z axis motor is equipped with brake in case if you can't move by hand. Then it's possible to disengage the clutch.
    Check the option to rotate encoder only if it is easier.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Feoras, From your pictures I see a couple of things, the front panel lights are staying on, this might be a power supply problem, or U2 chip is bad ( ULN2802A) the ribbon cables should be replaced, not repaired, ( i have these " P3 / P4)cables)
    Get a meter and give me a call. we will check some things.

Sportybob
    952-288-6340

Downloads
    Uploads

I got it working!
    First, big thanks to Sporty Bob for his help troubleshooting.

TLDR, replaced the keyboard encoder and some driver mosfets.

After working with Bob, everything seemed to test ok with the exception of the suspected keyboard encoder. I just wasn't 100% sure on the keyenc because it wouldn't work with an external keyboard and apparently it should, so before i spent hard cash on a replacement keyenc, I wanted to rule out everything else. Everything else seemed ok so I bit the bullet and bought a used keyenc. Fitted and up she fired! But... the head started falling and it gave an error. I checked the driver card for Z drive and a fuse was blown so I replaced it but it blew again straight away. I swapped Y and Z cards over and the machine worked. At least everything except the Y drive. I took out the Y drive and tested the H-bridge mosfets and 2 of them were short circuit. The part numbers were scraped off so spent some time searching the net and found a post that said I could use IRFP6460. I replaced all 4 mosfet in the bridge just to balanced and new fuse and everything works!

Last edited by feoras; 04-28-2021 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add photo