Need Help! Partner 1G HS/ECB Error LED + Yaskawa EF3 Error

Thread: Partner 1G HS/ECB Error LED + Yaskawa EF3 Error

Default Partner 1G HS/ECB Error LED + Yaskawa EF3 Error

Hi Everyone,

I have a Partner 1G that is giving me some trouble. I have read forums, schematics, and called Milltronics and Yaskawa tech support. All of that has led me to ask for help here. Here is how the story starts:
    I was cutting some parts and stopped for a break, when I returned to the machine it was in emergency stop mode. I hit reset and it went directly back into emergency stop mode with "Axis excess" error on Z axis along with the Z axis slowly creeping down every time I hit reset. I did some reading and tried holding the reset down to force the machine to move because I had trapped a tool on a vice. This didn't do anything but produce more "Axis excess" and driver fault errors on which ever axis I tried to move. Next, I opened the back to take a look and found an "EF3" fault on the Yaskawa G5. After some research I found that EF3 is external fault on terminal 3. I traced terminal 3 to pin 11 of X out on the card cage. Couldn't really figure out more than that. Next, I had someone hit reset while I watched the Glentek cards. This is where I found the HS/ECB error LED staying on for the Z axis card. Again, I did some reading on what this meant and didn't get to far. I disconnected the two connectors from the Z axis Glentek, booted the machine and still got all errors other than the HS/ECB LED which I expected. I tried swapping out the CR1B relay with no change. I really don't know what to do next, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Partner 1G HS/ECB Error LED + Yaskawa EF3 Error

Quote Originally Posted by pokey2 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Partner 1G that is giving me some trouble. I have read forums, schematics, and called Milltronics and Yaskawa tech support. All of that has led me to ask for help here. Here is how the story starts:
    I was cutting some parts and stopped for a break, when I returned to the machine it was in emergency stop mode. I hit reset and it went directly back into emergency stop mode with "Axis excess" error on Z axis along with the Z axis slowly creeping down every time I hit reset. I did some reading and tried holding the reset down to force the machine to move because I had trapped a tool on a vice. This didn't do anything but produce more "Axis excess" and driver fault errors on which ever axis I tried to move. Next, I opened the back to take a look and found an "EF3" fault on the Yaskawa G5. After some research I found that EF3 is external fault on terminal 3. I traced terminal 3 to pin 11 of X out on the card cage. Couldn't really figure out more than that. Next, I had someone hit reset while I watched the Glentek cards. This is where I found the HS/ECB error LED staying on for the Z axis card. Again, I did some reading on what this meant and didn't get to far. I disconnected the two connectors from the Z axis Glentek, booted the machine and still got all errors other than the HS/ECB LED which I expected. I tried swapping out the CR1B relay with no change. I really don't know what to do next, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Do you have a second machine with another set of Glentec cards ?
    I had a situation that no matter what we replaced , the Z would creep down on reset .
    I swapped all 3 cards from another machine and that solved the problem .
    then I installed the 3 suspect cards to the donor machine and the problem followed to that machine .
    It turned out to be a bad X card . Now , why would a bad card in X cause problems with Z ?
    I don't really have an answer for that , but this is what happened to me .
    You know that you can swap the X Y Z cards around to use as a diagnostic tool, right ?
    You will have to reset the following error for each card by adjusting the pots on the board edge ( another subject )
    good luck

I do not have another machine, wish I did. However, I did swap the Z and Y axis and the led stayed lit on the Z axis card. Starting to think it's an issue with that card. If I completely remove a Glentek card would the machine start up normal or would it still give errors? Just trying to think of another way to diagnose.

Thanks for the reply and help.

Downloads
    Uploads

As I am not an expert on this , I think Sportybob would be a better source .
    If the fault happens when you do your initial machine home sequence , then you could access the user parameters , and look for home sequence . This is the order that the machine will execute the different axis homing sequences .
    Then you could change the seq for the suspected board to "0" . It will still home the other 2 axis but the 3rd will not home .
    Of course you could not run the machine till that 3rd axis is homed , but it will narrow down the possibility of a defective board .
    BTW, these boards are not available new , but there are several places that can repair them .

Downloads
    Uploads

If you do not always have a second set of eyes to push reset buttons , this is what I did :
    Find any old cam corder, and hook it via cables to a monitor .
    I had a problem where the machine would E stop , once and a while , but never when I was looking at the card LEDs . So I set the camera on a tripod and aimed it at the boards , and hit record . Later after I came back , I rewound the tape and watched it closely . Sure enough , I saw a short blink on one card , just a fraction before E Stop . This narrowed it down to which card to suspect .
    Later , when I replaced the repaired card , you need to set the "following error ". This is a fine tuning procedure to adjust the pots on the card to achieve certain values while each axis is under load . You need to watch the values change on the main screen while in the diagnostic mode . So instead of having a 2nd person shouting out numbers from the front , I just aimed the camera at the screen and put a monitor in back where I was working on the cards ( any old computer moniter will do )

This has been solved. It was a compound issue. The X axis limit switch is bad and the Z axis amp card is bad. Thank you to everyone who responded and help with this!