Questions on adding rigid tapping....

Thread: Questions on adding rigid tapping....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Questions on adding rigid tapping....

We are working on a P1H from 1995. It doesn't have rigid tapping, but we do have the encoder and bracket. Anybody have the wiring diagram for hooking up the encoder? We have the plug on the head, that has the orient sensor wiring in it now, and it has all the other wires for the encoder, and the other end goes to Com2 on the computer box, which then has a ribbon cable that goes to P6 connector on the X axis card.

Also, what parameters need changing and to what once we have the encoder installed? I'll call Milltronics tomorrow as we still need the spindle pulley and a belt, but I thought I would ask here also.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Questions on adding rigid tapping....

Following this, I'm curious as well. I have a bunch of books with wiring diagrams, so I'll go dig and see if I happen to have the one for rigid tapping.

I have the manual scanned but can't upload it here right now. I'll work on that later on, need to host elsewhere because the file is too large for this forum.

Last edited by npolanosky; 04-14-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have some wiring diagrams, but the partner 1 version I have is for the CSM spindle drive and we definitely don't have that. It also doesn't have the actual pin numbers at the connector up on the head. We can find the labels for at Com2, and I suppose we can continuity check to figure out which pin on the connector is supposed to be A+, A-, and so on. I'm hoping that Milltronics will have a wiring diagram for this machine as it seems to be an oddball, it has a 10,000 rpm spindle, a Yaskawa V1000 VFD, and Emerson AC Servo drives and Parker AC servos. All the wiring info I can find is for DC servos and Servo Dynamics (Fenner) drives.

Downloads
    Uploads

Page 7 is same as my paper manual I purchased from Milltronics P1H by serial number but they sent me a non CSM spidle electrical paper manual.

From older posts in past I dont think a parameter change is needed other than encoder pulse settings and fudge factor.

do a rigid tap search for the fudge factor on forum.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, that makes a lot more sense than the other diagrams I had. As for the encoder count, what value do you use, I know it's a 500 count encoder, but what value is inserted for the count? Is the fudge factor an actual parameter? I'll search the forum for that one....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    Thank you, that makes a lot more sense than the other diagrams I had. As for the encoder count, what value do you use, I know it's a 500 count encoder, but what value is inserted for the count? Is the fudge factor an actual parameter? I'll search the forum for that one....
    2000, Sporty bob stated in this post https://www.cnczone.com/forums/millt...anded-rpm.html post #26 that fudge factor is only effective on C7 controls

Downloads
    Uploads

How quickly does your spindle come up to speed? How fast does it reverse speed? Would it be practical for you to use TC tapping? I run TC tapping on my "hobby" grade mills and it works fine. The hard part was modifying my CAM software to generate a good "drilling" operation. I picked an RPM inside the edge my power band and adjusted my signal voltage so it was dead on at that speed. I do just about all my tapping at that RPM. I tap in high gear in aluminum, and low gear in most steels and it works just fine. Once I had a template that worked inside the power requirement range of the mill I just copied it and adjust the increment for all my most commonly used tap pitches. Now I just apply the template (style) I need to the operation and move on to the next one. I've even done blind holes when drilled to have a few threads extra depth clearance, and after doing some test cuts to see how much the maximum over travel was during reversals. It will probably never be as good as rigid tapping and I tap at a pretty low RPM, but it works. I could tap faster and get further into the power band, but even this is far superior to walking the finished work piece over to the drill press an tapping with the tapping head. (I have two drill presses with "permanently" mounted tapping heads and my two most commonly used taps loaded.)

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

RL, Thanks for the 2000, kind of what I expected for a 500 count encoder.

Bob, as for using a T&C, I use them on my Milltronics knee mill as it doesn't have the possibility of rigid tap, at least not easily, so I'm familiar with them and use them a lot. This new (old) machine has everything there for rigid tap, so if we can hook it up and have it working, it will be cheaper than buying a T&C holder and all the associated tap adapters to fit the sizes we need.