Air Compressor requirements for Spindle/Tool Holder?

Thread: Air Compressor requirements for Spindle/Tool Holder?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Air Compressor requirements for Spindle/Tool Holder?

I am curious to know how the Spindle works with the compressed air to grab the tool holder. By this I mean, does it only use the compressed air to grab and release the Pull Stud? Or is there something the compressed air is doing to hold the spindle in the entire time. For example, could I have the compressor hooked up to the machine, load a tool, run the program, and remove the compressed air line from the machine to use else where while the machine does it’s thing? Then connect the line again when it’s either time to do a tool change or remove the tool holder?

Side question, what pressure needs to be held for proper operation?

For reference, My machine does NOT have a tool changer. I have a 25 Gallon compressor.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Air Compressor requirements for Spindle/Tool Holder?

You only need air to open the gripper. Though the machine may not reset if there is no air, but you can change that in the parameters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Air Compressor requirements for Spindle/Tool Holder?

The pull stud is normally held in place by spring pressure (normally belvil washers) and released by air pressure. So theoretically you disconnect the air from the machine between tool changes. But the machine air may also supply purge air to the spindle to keep coolant out of the bearings, this is the case in some machines. I would just do some shop plumbing to supply air to the needed locations.

[rant] I don't mean to beat up on you, but you have fallen victim the compressor marketing advertising hype. ''25 gallon'' as a description of an air compressor is meaningless, that is only the storage tank size. I have two air compressors sitting out here one is 100 gallon, the other is 60 gallon, both are 15HP. I also have two 80 gallon and both are 5 HP (real 5 HP). What is really important is the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) output at a given pressure. Normally in the range of about 3.4 CFM/HP @ 90 PSI So the HP is more meaningful than the tank size. The other problem is that in the consumer type compressor advertizing many times a ''5 HP'' compressor is in fact about a 3 HP compressor, you have to look at the motor amps to actually get a real HP number. The marketing types are trying to outdo each other. [/rant]

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA