VM16A Max Tool Weight

Thread: VM16A Max Tool Weight

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VM16A Max Tool Weight

Anyone know for sure what the max tool weight is for the spindle on a 96 VM16A machine? The only info I can seem to find is the max weight for the tool changer on a model newer is 15lbs. I ask because I acquired a 160mm 8 insert face mill for a price I couldnt turn away from. The only trouble, it is 17lbs. Can the spindle run it if I only manual tool change it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VM16A Max Tool Weight

Hi Tipman, No problem. The weight limit is for the tool change pockets.

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats what I thought, but I did not want to see a 17 lb tool fly out at even a low RPM much less have it come out when I figure out how fast I can spin it without chewing up inserts.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

this assumes that the drawbar washers are good and not broken, real weak etc.

on a P1 / VM machine, new washers set properly will provide about 900 lb's pull up force. newer machines will have between 1300 to 2400 lbs depending on the spindle installed.

with out a drawbar dynamometer it is hard to check. but if you put a prybar between the spindle nose and the top of the tool, it should be hard to get it to move.

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

I will do the prybar test. Im keeping my eye open for a drawbar tester, one will show up through my channels for a price I can afford eventually. On that note, how difficult are the washers to replace? If its a reasonably easy process and the washers are closer to within budget I may just change them and not have to worry about it

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Drawbar washers and not hard to change.
    I do have 2 Dynos,(one digital and one mechanical) I can "rent" one with a refundable deposit. you pay shipping both ways. These run new between $1400 (mechanical) and $3000 for the digital . The problem with buying used, you do not know for sure if it is accurate. so it needs to be sent in for calibration, that's about $500.00 ( or find some one with a calibrated unit and compare the readings)
    For the occasional user, not practical, better to rent one.

while the "pry bar" method is not fool proof it will let you know if you have a overly weak washer stack. with a 24" pry bar you should have to use some effort to move it.

Give me a call

Bob M
    952-288-6340

Bob M

Downloads
    Uploads

I did my drawbar washers with a kit sportybob sent me. Assuming you can get the motor and cover off out of the way (its heavy) Its fairly easy. Just take pictures to make sure you get everything back in order and most of the set screws you see have two setscrews one under the other (prevents them from vibrating loose). Doesn't take that long.