Tool Holder choices. ER32?

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

  1. #1
    Member sen2two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    So now that I have my 1st CNC, none of my current R8 tooling is going to work.

    I was looking at some CAT 40-ER 32 Tool Holders. This way I can also have an R8 ER 32 Tool holder and use the ER32 Collets on both my Manual Mills and Partner 1.

    What is most commonly used on these machines? I have no real reference as to what is best to use for the CNC.

    Looking at these... (I would normally never buy eBay most likely Chinese tooling, but the cost of the machine, and now.... unexpected costs to fix it is driving the cost of tool holders to the lower side)

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT40-ER32-...53.m1438.l2649

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-ER32-Col...cAAOSwndZaYF5J

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Member sen2two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    US
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    Although, this seems like a hell of a deal... Anyone have this set up?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT40-TOOLI....c100505.m3226



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11231
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    Quote Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    So now that I have my 1st CNC, none of my current R8 tooling is going to work.

    I was looking at some CAT 40-ER 32 Tool Holders. This way I can also have an R8 ER 32 Tool holder and use the ER32 Collets on both my Manual Mills and Partner 1.

    What is most commonly used on these machines? I have no real reference as to what is best to use for the CNC.

    Looking at these... (I would normally never buy eBay most likely Chinese tooling, but the cost of the machine, and now.... unexpected costs to fix it is driving the cost of tool holders to the lower side)

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT40-ER32-...53.m1438.l2649

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-ER32-Col...cAAOSwndZaYF5J
    For a CNC machining Center you don't want to be using a ER32, nothing above a ER20, the nut gets to big and will get in the way when machining, if you need to hold large cutters then you use a solid tool 1/2" and above should be using solid tool holders

    For drills and small milling cutters ER11 and ER16 thats all you need, the rest should be solid tool holders

    Things to look for is the gauge length you want to get them as short as you can 2.5 or shorter is a good gauge length

    Martitool has some reasonable priced tools and quite good quality

    Mactec54


  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    33
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    Quote Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    Although, this seems like a hell of a deal... Anyone have this set up?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT40-TOOLI....c100505.m3226
    Seller has dismal feedback. No way I would buy.



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    317
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    I recommend tpac tools on eBay their holders are pretty good. .0003” for or less in my machine. I got er16 and er32

    He sells them with a set of pull studs also.

    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F221243485574


    Edit: forgot to add I’ve ordered collets and stuff from the first seller you have listed cme tools and their stuff is pretty good too. Their collet sets were pretty good for the price. Their integrated drill chucks are not bad for the price either.

    Remember I’m saying for the price. You can find new technics and some others for decent price too but those are about 3x the cost. I dislike buying used holders from eBay I just found they are normally worse than Chinese for more money.



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    105
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    I bought some tool holders that were supposed to come with Haas style pull studs off ebay - they came from 2 different sellers one was yufann8_6 and the other was douchenyang64. Came from the same shipper, packed exactly the same - Both sets came with the wrong pull studs - not just the wrong style, but the wrong size - they had BT40 pull studs shipped with them - sent messages to both sellers and got the exact same response - sorry for the mistake, tell us what is wrong, send pics, etc. - gave up trying to get anything close to right. Also sportybob pointed out to me that Milltronics uses a different pull stud - a 60 degree instead of the more common 45 degree stud. I found this listing on ebay from Shars Tool that had Milltronics listed specifcally - so I'd suggest buying them without pull studs and just order the pull studs from someone who knows what they are doing. I ended up getting mine from Shars. My machine is still not up and running so I can't say for sure they are correct but I'm a lot more comfortable that they are - at least they will fit the tool holder! Not saying that Tpac doesn't know what they are doing - I have heard very good things about them - but I did not see any listed with pull studs that specifically said they fit Milltronics when I skimmed their ebay store. Here is the listing from Shars - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shars-CAT-4...72.m2749.l2649



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    317
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    Quote Originally Posted by SEK22Hornet View Post
    I bought some tool holders that were supposed to come with Haas style pull studs off ebay - they came from 2 different sellers one was yufann8_6 and the other was douchenyang64. Came from the same shipper, packed exactly the same - Both sets came with the wrong pull studs - not just the wrong style, but the wrong size - they had BT40 pull studs shipped with them - sent messages to both sellers and got the exact same response - sorry for the mistake, tell us what is wrong, send pics, etc. - gave up trying to get anything close to right. Also sportybob pointed out to me that Milltronics uses a different pull stud - a 60 degree instead of the more common 45 degree stud. I found this listing on ebay from Shars Tool that had Milltronics listed specifcally - so I'd suggest buying them without pull studs and just order the pull studs from someone who knows what they are doing. I ended up getting mine from Shars. My machine is still not up and running so I can't say for sure they are correct but I'm a lot more comfortable that they are - at least they will fit the tool holder! Not saying that Tpac doesn't know what they are doing - I have heard very good things about them - but I did not see any listed with pull studs that specifically said they fit Milltronics when I skimmed their ebay store. Here is the listing from Shars - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shars-CAT-4...72.m2749.l2649
    Ah you are right I ordered their holders with no pullstuds because I just don’t trust those Chinese coolant through studs. If you ask he will sell 6 holders for $125 with no studs or wrench. Shars pullstuds are very good I definitely recommend them but I ordered fadal non coolant through the where $5each with free shipping (cheaper than their site at the time)
    Anyway I still recommend their holders over the Chinese random stuff.



  8. #8
    Registered Heavymetalcnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    I have a Sharp 2412 that I've had for 6 years. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to buy ER32 collets because of the size. They aren't that big when it comes to a mill. They are more versatile for being able to use whatever tool sizes and drill sizes.
    You won't pull tools out of them until they get worn.
    I buy the Chinese stuff from ebay, and I find that if you do a good job keeping them clean they work just fine. The only real problem you'll have is with rust.

    http://www.heavymetalcnc.com


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    105
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    I bought both ER16 and ER32. I have a smaller machine that uses BT30 holders and on it I have several ER20, some ER16 and even a couple ER11 holders - I like to have different sizes available for different situations. Back to the pull studs for a second- I looked up the difference between the Haas and the Milltronics and I have a feeling the Haas will work - here are the dimensions I found - pretty close -

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Holder choices. ER32?-hass-pull-stud-png   Tool Holder choices. ER32?-milltronics-pull-stud-jpg  


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    317
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    Quote Originally Posted by SEK22Hornet View Post
    I bought both ER16 and ER32. I have a smaller machine that uses BT30 holders and on it I have several ER20, some ER16 and even a couple ER11 holders - I like to have different sizes available for different situations. Back to the pull studs for a second- I looked up the difference between the Haas and the Milltronics and I have a feeling the Haas will work - here are the dimensions I found - pretty close -
    Seems as though the angle where it grips is different.



  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    105
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    That and the couple thou difference in a couple dimensions were the only differences I could see - If i am correct the drawbar is a ball type so I suspect that the Haas would probably work just fine Once I get my machine running I'll probably want a few more holders - may try the Haas pull studs then.



  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    476
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Tool Holder choices. ER32?

    Are you kidding me? You are supposed to use the 60º pull studs, not the 45º pull studs that is used in a Haas. There is a considerable difference in the grip of the balls on the angle, and a change in length where the balls actually contact the pull stud, which will combined, make it much easier for a tool holder to get pulled out of the spindle taper. You want to risk a $5000 spindle repair to save a dollar or two on pull studs? Buy the right ones, they are commonly available from any supplier.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Tool Holder choices. ER32?

Tool Holder choices. ER32?

Tool Holder choices. ER32?