VM17 removing X axis motor

Thread: VM17 removing X axis motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VM17 removing X axis motor

I need to remove the X axis motor to get the width down enough to get through a narrow door. The factory said the motor could be removed and simply refitted but if another part (don't really understand which one) is removed there is a more detailed process to get everything adjusted properly. I need to remove the part that enclosed the coupling (and the coupling) as the door is 48" and my table is 45. With just the shaft I have about 1.5" clearance. See the picture (from the bottom) with the part indicated. Is this just a spacer that is held on with the four bolts that hold the motor? Does this apply preload to the bearings or some other critical thing? If there is some adjustment for replacement how complex is it?

VM17 removing X axis motor-xmotormountmarkup-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VM17 removing X axis motor

Hi Jim, loosen the motor coupler, remove the motor, remove the 2 bolts on each side of the motor mounts (part with arrow) for reassembly reverse the procedure.
    pretty straight forward.

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Milltronics says this needs to be concentric to the ball screw shaft and that some units have alignment dowel pins. And something about the dowels being threaded to pull them... If there aren't dowel pins they don't recommend removing it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the mount should be installed so that the motor shaft / coupler / ball screw are in alignment.
    If in doubt mark the mounts L /R and scribe alignment marks, , measure the top of the mount to the casting, (Flush???)

2 bolts on each mount, so maybe you have 1/16" up down movement, snug bolts to scribe marks, measure, check the motor alignment, tap mount up / down repeat until aligned, remove motor, tighten the bolts, install the motor, recheck once more.

some dowel / taper pins have an internal thread to allow pulling the pin easier.

sportybob