Newbie Looking for information on my VM-17 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for information on my VM-17

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for information on my VM-17

You should be able to find all the parts you need at digikey.com if you are going to try to repair them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hornet, I have repaired drives available. I checked my boards, you are correct, no electrical tape under the FET's

If you have a meg ohm meter You might want to check the power cables to ground. If no megger then at least ohm check them.

The Y axis 408 (excess error) was most likely caused by the drive not power up. so when you tell the control to jog, it expects an encoder feed back signal. if it does not "see" the following grows rapidly when it reaches the predetermined value, the control "says" " something is not right" and throws out the 407 X, 408 Y 409 Z, 410 A alarms.

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like the FET's are Fuji 2SK1277 - appear to be obsolete. Checked another board to see if it had the same ones - it does. I found some on ebay and have a set on order. I also ordered the IR2110 FET driver IC's - I fully expect them to be blown as well. Had no trouble finding the 2n7000 FET - these are the little to-92 FETs that were blown up. Gonna be a challenge!

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to figure out why they blew in the first place, or you will be replacing those aswell. I had a glentek go out on me. And all of them were showing signs of heat in the same place.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like I have found a replacement board at a reasonable price - got one that was listed as a spare that was no longer needed on ebay. Made an offer and the seller accepted it. Not an exact match but the Customer Service dept at Servo Dynamics was kind enough to tell me how to make it work like the one I need to replace. As for figuring out what caused it to blow - I'm hoping it was the bad repair job but will be checking things out pretty carefully before applying full power to the new board.

Last edited by SEK22Hornet; 03-13-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I discovered that the x axis over travel limit and homing switch were both unhooked. The unhooked limit switch was keeping power from holding in once the reset switch was pressed. Jumped across the switch wires and the power will hold in. Another step further! Pulled both switches and checked them out - both work but one is bent. Found one that looks like it will work on ebay and have some on order. Went ahead and plugged the two Servo Amp boards in as X and Y and powered up the system and can now tell for sure that the X axis is powering up (green LED is lit) and the Y axis board is not, confirming that I have another bad servo amp. Guess I'll see what Servo Dynamics wants to repair the bad board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hornet, I have repaired drives available and the limit switches (not made in China)

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bob - I found a Suns International limit switch that appears to be a replacement for the Panasonic - made in Taiwan stocked in the US. $27 shipped so I took a chance on one Should be here Friday or Saturday. Have Servo Dynamics amp on the way - the seller has been slow shipping. Looks like I may finally get it tomorrow. That should let me get back the Y axis leaving the Z axis the focus of my troubleshooting. I need to call you with a couple questions but had other things going on.

Last edited by SEK22Hornet; 03-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Received the re-placement limit switch - looks like it will work just fine. The other servo amp showed up and I modified it as instructed by Servo Dynamics - board is in very nice condition with most IC's socketed. Unfortunately when I plugged it in, it gives me an error (the Voltage LED is lit) and goes into error 450 as soon as I power it up. Looks like I get to start troubleshooting 2 servo amplifier boards (I actually have three bad ones counting the one that has the burnt traces).

Downloads
    Uploads

Got estimates from Servo dynamics to evaluate and repair the brushless servo amplifiers - about $100 each to evaluate and roughly $800 each for repair. Picked up some used tested good Advance Motion Controls BE25A20 brushless servo amps rated 200 volts and 25 amps which is close to the ratings on the Servo Dynamics. I have about $150 in all three amps. Looking at the wiring I need to swap the drives out. So far, the main difference is the fault output - the Servo Dynamics is low active with all three tied together (tells me it is open collector) and the BE25A20 is TTL output High active. Planning on adding a small circuit board with connectors to match up to the Servo Dynamics amps and including a FET to invert the Fault output and allow them to all be tied together - looks like it won't be too difficult to make up the interface. I have partially wired one drive to the Z axis motor but still need to sort out the phasing for the motor - don't have it running yet. Have not had much time to work on it. Figured if I burn one of these up I won't be out nearly as much money as the Servo Dynamics (I only have one working Servo Dynamics board right now). So far no smoke from either the motor or the amp.

Downloads
    Uploads

Believe I made some progress tonight - powered up the machine with the motor that had bee taken apart connected pretty much just to the BE25A20 amplifier. It ran in one direction - sorta. I powered down and swapped two of the hall leads like the set up instructions for the amplifier instructed. When I powered back up the motor took off running smooth at a fairly high RPM. I could adjust the test pot through zero and the motor reverses smoothly, but I have no control of speed right now - that leads me to believe I have a switch set wrong on the amp or the tach is not connected correctly. Had to stop for tonight but will read up on the amp some more and make sure everything is set right and connected right - At least I know the motor will run both directions smoothly!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SEK22Hornet View Post
    Believe I made some progress tonight - powered up the machine with the motor that had bee taken apart connected pretty much just to the BE25A20 amplifier. It ran in one direction - sorta. I powered down and swapped two of the hall leads like the set up instructions for the amplifier instructed. When I powered back up the motor took off running smooth at a fairly high RPM. I could adjust the test pot through zero and the motor reverses smoothly, but I have no control of speed right now - that leads me to believe I have a switch set wrong on the amp or the tach is not connected correctly. Had to stop for tonight but will read up on the amp some more and make sure everything is set right and connected right - At least I know the motor will run both directions smoothly!

Try swapping the tach leads in the axis connector pins, 1 and 2. that should stop the "runaway"

there are a few way to connect a motor armature, halls and tach, and it takes the right combination. so it may take a few trys. and then when it is stable and moving OK. is it turning the correct direction for pos / neg moves. Oh the fun of it all ;-)

sportybob

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

I had remembered reading about swapping the tach leads for the run away - turns out that this amp has a switch to invert the feedback - will give that a try tonight. I was just thinking I need to figure out the correct rotation direction since if I have to reverse it I'll have to swap the poles on the motor as well as the hall effect leads - like you say - it's about to get really fun! Does the direction of the voltage swing translate to the direction travel of the axis? In other words, does a positive voltage translate to the positive direction of the axis?

Last edited by SEK22Hornet; 04-10-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

No luck swapping the leads - measured the voltage at the tach terminals on the connector board and got 0v in both directions. Either have a short or the shaft coupler on the tach isn't tightened down - and it is a bear to get to, so some more troubleshooting is in order.

Downloads
    Uploads

took everything apart and pulled the tach out of the motor - no output. Hooked it to a scope and to a drill - nothing. Opened it up and the comutator is broke loose from the armature - toast - found a used one on ebay - maybe someday I'll get this all put back together!

Downloads
    Uploads

One step closer - got the used tach generator in the mail yesteday and installed it today - the servo motor and amplifier are working great now! Need to get it installed in the machine now!

Downloads
    Uploads

Me thinks MR. Hornet has some electrical skills ;-)

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bob - I appreciate the help you have given me on this project and I know I'll be looking for more as I go along. My wife accuses me of having more fun working on the machine than running it once it is going...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123