Moving a VM17

Thread: Moving a VM17

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Moving a VM17

I see there is another recent thread on moving a VM16 and this is probably similar. I need to get this through 52" wide door (concrete and brick building so enlarging the door isn't going to happen) so I am looking at some serious disassembly. Of course the cabinet has to come off. Looks like it is held together with rivets that can be drilled out. Plan to remove the tool changer. Not sure what the width will be then and may have to remove more. Thinking an engine hoist to lift the tool changer for removal. Used a roll back wrecker to move a lathe but it was much less weight. Not sure yet if we may tackle this or hire someone to move the main piece. Any suggestions are welcome.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Moving a VM17

How much work is involved in removing the tool changer? The machine is at another location and I am working on plans for the move.

Downloads
    Uploads

The tool changer is held on by six bolts, there are a few air lines, and the electrical wires. You will likely have to set your tool change height afterwards, and maybe realign the rails so it travels straight. i think it weighs around 700 lbs. i would seriously consider making the door bigger, and putting a regular sized garage door.

Downloads
    Uploads

Look at the pictures in my reply today on moving a VM16 I think once you get containment off you'll have enough room depending on height of opening.

Ron

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim 27, before you go and start taking the tool changer off, I would take a tape measure and check to see what you have for distance from it, to the far side of the column.
    I was working on my VM 16 today and I happened to measure mine. It is only 33".
    You will have to remove the enclosure, but you may be good every where else.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Ron,

I just tried to look at your attachments on the other thread and got an error on both. Can you check that? I am also getting some push back from movers on moving these with skates - everyone wants to use a fork lift. I am not sure the floor where it is going will handle the weight of the machine plus the weight of a fork lift.

Dave, I think you are suggesting it may be narrow enough. Is this with removing the electrical cabinet on the back?

Downloads
    Uploads

If I can't get use a forklift for moving due to space and weight limits is it feasible to move this with skates? What are my other options? I see some others have pulled them into position - would like a bit more detail on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
    If I can't get use a forklift for moving due to space and weight limits is it feasible to move this with skates? What are my other options? I see some others have pulled them into position - would like a bit more detail on that.
    I moved mine with skates once it was in the building. Only use 3 skates. If you hit a low spot with 4 skates you might loose one. Put the skates in the fork notches so that the machine is barely off the ground and doesn't have far to go if you loose one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
    I moved mine with skates once it was in the building. Only use 3 skates. If you hit a low spot with 4 skates you might loose one. Put the skates in the fork notches so that the machine is barely off the ground and doesn't have far to go if you loose one.
    Thanks - Seems like a reasonable plan. Were you able to push it with several people or did you need to pull it with a winch? I am guessing you had to shim up the skates a bit with some lumber or metal plate to get the height right? A pallet jack has been suggested and the 3 point support has been noted to be less stable but keeping it just off the ground would minimize the risk. Some have expressed concern that it might "get away", start rolling and crash into something/someone but I don't see how with a level floor - not perfect but no noticeable dips or slopes. Thinking about using a roll back wrecker with capability to adjust height so the truck is level with the loading dock. One issue I see is bridging the gap from the truck to the building but that gap should be very small so a plate should cover that.

Downloads
    Uploads

We had 2 people pushing it. I used 2 x6's to shim it up. keep an eye on the skates to make sure they dont try to rotate out, and make sure the floor is clean, my buddy uses a zero turn mower to pull his around , but i didnt have the room. i doubt it will roll away on a level floor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I moved mine Saturday - hired a roll back. Seller had it on skates when we picked it up. We put three 10' 2x10's lag screwed together under the machine so that I could use pipe to roll it once I got it home. The 2x10's worked good for me. I'll post a pic of it after I get home - it is still on the 2x's and pipes in my garage.

Downloads
    Uploads

Moving a VM17-img_0662-jpg

Moving a VM17-p1h-jpg

I moved a P1H with a 60 inch table 45 inch X travel on a deck over goose neck trailer from Ohio to New York.

We had to put on sideways as it was over width. I then picked off goose neck with a friends 12000 lb fork lift and set on a sunbelt rental tilt bed trailer to move the final 9 miles to my shop.
    I don't have a fork lift and I used some 1/8 inch diamond plate and winched into shop after removing containment. It took about 45 mins to pull containment and about an hour to position some 11 gauge metal under rock base to make sure we didn't dig up trailer.

I removed the leveling legs in OHIO when setting on goose neck trailer.

I have chain pull pocket in my shop floor that lines up with overhead door and I used a 12000 lb harbor freight winch with remote to pull off trailer.

I have moved a heavier HAAS VMC into my shop this way and move on 3 skates in shop after winching off trailer it was a lot heavier than the P1H, I can just move the P1H with my pallet jack but could not even pick up the HAAS

I think you'll find once you pull containment its quite narrow, other that the lower steel panels to the rock base and the 60 inch table on my P1 the width without those is around 48 inches with the tool changer and that's with the CSM Electrical box sticking out on side of rear cabinet

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you a link to the video I shot winching off trailer in my drop box account

I forgot to mention when I pulled the HAAS of all I had was a 1,000 lb air operated chain hoist. My son and I had to get it started moving with Johnson bars each time and it pulled ok till we ran out of chain and had to shorten hook ups. then help it get moving each time. The HAAS weights close to 7800 lbs.

Last edited by rl49; 02-22-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Additional info

Downloads
    Uploads

Took some more measurements last night. The table is 45 inches. The tool changer is a large one - something like 20 - 24 stations. It has to come off. Removing the X axis motor (and the enclosure of course) will get the width down to just under 47 inches. My door is 48 so it just fits. Height isn't an issue - well, it is, but with the Z axis motor removed I have about 4 - 6 inches to spare. Miles compared to the width!

The spindle is currently blocked under the spindle and the table is about 2/3 of the way back. The Z axis motor is already removed so my plan is to find a shaft to put into the coupling so I can manually turn and lift the head and put a block behind the spindle so the bearings don't get stressed during the move. How important is moving the table back? Think I can do that by hand once I remove some enclosure to get to the coupling.

It looks like I will be drilling out a lot of rivets to remove the enclosure. That and some allen head bolts on some brackets. Is that right?

Plan is to prep the machine by pulling the enclosure and re-support the spindle. All prep except removing the tool changer. Then move and remove the tool changer before putting it in the new building. Actual move by a mover. Then move to final location with skates.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you are in for a fun time. Be prepared to replace the axis bearings. i changed all mine and it quieted the travel down a good bit. Here are the bearings i used, Dont loose the .002 spacer between the bearings

motor end 2 per axis
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Spindle-B...53.m1438.l2649

end opposite motor 1 per axis
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/6204-RS-12-...MAAOSwc1FXYD0J

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information. First is to just get the machine moved and running and then figure out what needs to be improved.

The current owner seemed to think the enclosure could be unbolted at the column and would be flexible enough and with some juggling around it could come off over the table without drilling out rivets between sections but it doesn't look flexible or that it will come off over the 45" wide table. The front section seems to go all the way across without a break in the center so I think I am looking at separating panels of the enclosure at the front corners of each side. Can someone confirm that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
    Thanks for the information. First is to just get the machine moved and running and then figure out what needs to be improved.

The current owner seemed to think the enclosure could be unbolted at the column and would be flexible enough and with some juggling around it could come off over the table without drilling out rivets between sections but it doesn't look flexible or that it will come off over the 45" wide table. The front section seems to go all the way across without a break in the center so I think I am looking at separating panels of the enclosure at the front corners of each side. Can someone confirm that?
    We're talking about 20 yr old fiberglass. With years of exposure to coolant, and likely lots of micro cracks. I wouldn't try to flex it at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

That was my thought. Just asking for breakage if you attempt it...

Hansab

Greetings. I want to note that the move is a very important issue, and it should be taken seriously. So I want to advise you to visit https://trekmovers.com/movers/irvine/, and choose for yourself one of the best companies in this industry.