CNC Crashing

Thread: CNC Crashing

Default CNC Crashing

Hi All,

First time poster! I'm a relative newcomer to the CNC world. Currently working on a Proform ATC 32/21 running NC Studios software. Wanting some advice if possible, as the spindle keeps returning to the tool holder to the left of the tool selcted when requesting a tool change and crashing. I've Wrecked one tool holder and nervously hovered over the emergency stop button to stop it short the second time! Any idea why it would be doing this all of a sudden? Do i need to reset all the tools, Heights etc? Any help much appreciated!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KeeWeeCeeEnnCee View Post
    Hi All,

First time poster! I'm a relative newcomer to the CNC world. Currently working on a Proform ATC 32/21 running NC Studios software. Wanting some advice if possible, as the spindle keeps returning to the tool holder to the left of the tool selcted when requesting a tool change and crashing. I've Wrecked one tool holder and nervously hovered over the emergency stop button to stop it short the second time! Any idea why it would be doing this all of a sudden? Do i need to reset all the tools, Heights etc? Any help much appreciated!
    You need to either program a safe position for Z axis before toolchange or find a G code that sends to tool to the toolchanger in a safe direction. Alternatively, write a subprogram and use it for toolchanging. Also, some controls execute blocks sequentially so maybe write
    G0
    Z0
    X0Y0
    M6

Control normally wants to go shortest path.

Default Re: CNC Crashing

Ok. Thanks for your help. Will give that a try.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

Write a toolchange subroutine that sends the Z axis to the toolchanging position before the M6 command. CNC machines will always use shortest path at toolchanging. Some machines have G codes or subroutine preloaded for a safe route to toolchange.
    ie.
    Safe Change
    G01 Z500 F1000 (above workpiece)
    M6
    M2

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    You need to either program a safe position for Z axis before toolchange or find a G code that sends to tool to the toolchanger in a safe direction. Alternatively, write a subprogram and use it for toolchanging. Also, some controls execute blocks sequentially so maybe write
    G0
    Z0
    X0Y0
    M6

Control normally wants to go shortest path.
    This is nothing to do with G-Code the Tool change operation is controlled by a Macro, so something is messed up in the control or the ATC 0ffsets..

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This is nothing to do with G-Code the Tool change operation is controlled by a Macro, so something is messed up in the control or the ATC 0ffsets..
    You know it all.

I'm a graduate CNC service tech, have been for 30 years. Nobody with experience starts to troubleshoot half way through a process.
    Start at the beginning, work logically through each step. You have jumped to conclusions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    You know it all.

I'm a graduate CNC service tech, have been for 30 years. Nobody with experience starts to troubleshoot half way through a process.
    Start at the beginning, work logically through each step. You have jumped to conclusions.
    Yes, we know who you are, you keep blowing your trumpet. there are others that post on the Zone, that are more qualified than you are, and with more experience with the controls being posted about.

I used to teach guys like you, and there were some that where good and some that did not make it, you seem to be somewhere in the middle and just muddle your way through a problem.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

Do you Home the machine every time you start up your machine??

Do you Remove the last Tool used before you shut down the Machine??

Have you made any Parameter Changes in the Control??

Has your Tool Rack moved out of position from the crash, this will need to be checked??

Your best way to test to see what is happening is to remove all tools except for Tool 1 from the rack, with no Tool in the Spindle use MDI mode enter T1 and see if it goes and gets the Tool. move X /Y axis away from the Tool changer and do the same, put Tool #4 in the Rack and do a T4 call and see if it put Tool #1 back and picks up Tool #4

Cut and Paste your Program here that shows your Tool change, your program has to have the correct format for it to work reliably.

Mactec54