What "level" is our Laguna CNC Machine?

Thread: What "level" is our Laguna CNC Machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What "level" is our Laguna CNC Machine?

We have a Laguna SmartShop 2 - 12HP spindle. Reading through hundreds of posts on feeds and speeds/bits/etc with absolutely opposite opinions on how to cut various materials, I notice that one consistent qualifier is the nature of the machine itself- hobbyist, "production," industrial.

I read a lot of posts like, "If you have a hobbyist machine, you can cut 6IPS, but if you have a production machine, it's a million miles a second in one pass through aluminum. Without lubricant. With a straight bit. 1/16". We do it everyday and make 850 parts an hour and I've been doing it for 35 years."

We cut MDF - ultralight but mostly the normal, heavier stuff. We cut foams of various thicknesses, and acrylic. I'm just trying to narrow down my choices in bits and feeds/speeds, but I have no real idea where our machine fits in the spectrum. I would hate to be slaving through multi-hour cuts on MDF at 50IPS when we could be far more productive, faster. Anyone familiar with what we've got who might be able to help me narrow my search scope?

Thanks so much,

_Mike

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What "level" is our Laguna CNC Machine?

With a 12 HP spindle, you have a pretty substantial machine. The best place to start is with the cutter manufacturer recommendations for feeds & speeds. All manufacturers of quality cutters publish feed and speed recommendations for their products.

Adjust your feeds & speeds as needed for your machine. Every machine and job is a little different, and may require some adjustment.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

"...the cutter manufacturer..." you mean the maker of our bits? We tend to use a lot of Amana bits and have seen various chip load charts, but again people say the charts are inaccurate because they don't take into account the nature of the machine...

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the chats published in this case by Amana. The charts are a good starting point, but every machine is different. The charts generally give you the maximum performance data for the cutter, you may find you need to back down a bit from there. What ''people'' say is irrelevant, the manufacturer has tested the cutters at the rates indicated on the charts. You need to make adjustments for your particular machine.

In general, you can feel when the machine and cutter is happy. If there is a question, back the feed down and then keep pushing it up until the machine is not happy, then back off a bit. You will find the sweet spot.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Even after relatively little experience cutting, I've found even KNOWING how a machine should act/sound is a huge factor. I couldn't even tell you that what I think is correct is correct. I know that one time a very experienced operator on our machine made it make sounds that were nothing short of alarming, but he said it was normal and the cuts were beautiful. I do not know how, without the hands-on guidance of a seasoned pro, one would even know how to calibrate one's sense of what the sweet spot should sound or feel like for a given material/machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

A good rule of thumb is if you are breaking cutters then you might be pushing it a bit hard. You may not have a spindle load meter on your machine, but we run ours at around 90% in a heavy cut. You just need to look at the cuts and if it is acceptable then you are doing it right. You might want to take a look at the Titans of CNC YouTube videos to understand the mindset. They are cutting metals, but the philosophy applies to wood work also.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA