Wet cutting foam to prevent dust

Thread: Wet cutting foam to prevent dust

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wet cutting foam to prevent dust

I am planning to do some foam cutting.

I want to prevent the fine dust. Larger chips are fine.

I am planning to finish rough edges by hand so I don't need very smooth cuts.

I was wondering if I can spray the foam with water to prevent fine dust.

I am also thinking of Cutting with a thin bit, using low rpm high travel speed. I also am planning to cut instead of carving a large vloume.

Any ideas ?

thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wet cutting foam to prevent dust

Let us know how it goes, okay? I'm assuming you've got flood cooling set up on your machine, right? And it's all rust-proof, with no parts like MDF spoilboards that are going to be damaged by water. Are you using straight water, or lubricant "milk"? Dry foam dust definitely does make a mess what with static cling and all - I'm curious as to how much difference water will make.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Let us know how it goes, okay? I'm assuming you've got flood cooling set up on your machine, right? And it's all rust-proof, with no parts like MDF spoilboards that are going to be damaged by water. Are you using straight water, or lubricant "milk"? Dry foam dust definitely does make a mess what with static cling and all - I'm curious as to how much difference water will make.
    lol calm down.

I am planning just to mist the surface so that it prevents fine dust from going airborne.

I don't think that much humidity will cause any rust given that I am running the machine in warm environment and it is mostly aluminum anyways.

Downloads
    Uploads

What will the foam be used for after machining?If its any form of composite work,moisture will be unwanted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    What will the foam be used for after machining?If its any form of composite work,moisture will be unwanted.
    I am mostly building planes with the foam. I was also concerned about moisture but from my wet sanding experience I can say that I have observed no adverse effects.

The cuts need not be very smooth on the other hand it would have been good if I could have a rough shape carved out of eps foam. But I can sculpt by hand well so even if I only have an accurate cut I will be fine.