Type of end mill to make round over at top of pocket?

Thread: Type of end mill to make round over at top of pocket?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Type of end mill to make round over at top of pocket?

Could use a ball end mill but this is for a drawing die where the material is pulled over the edge and any waves could be an issue - would need to make the passes very close together as the radius is only about 0.030". I could of course use a corner rounding end mill. Thinking I may want to try different radius numbers but want to minimize the number of cutters to buy. Thinking I could buy the largest radius I expect to need and then make several passes for tighter radius. This will give much smaller ridges than a ball end mill as the curve of the cutting edge is in the same direction as I need. Is this a reasonable plan?

It's only an initial estimate of the radius. With such a small radius I could put it on by hand but there are some corners (rectangular pocket with radius corners that would make that harder. I also need to do some larger radius of about 0.125 so thinking I may get a large radius tool and a small radius tool (perhaps about 0.060) and try to cover whatever I end up needing with those.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jim27; 06-28-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Type of end mill to make round over at top of pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
    Could use a ball end mill but this is for a drawing die where the material is pulled over the edge and any waves could be an issue - would need to make the passes very close together as the radius is only about 0.030". I could of course use a corner rounding end mill. Thinking I may want to try different radius numbers but want to minimize the number of cutters to buy. Thinking I could buy the largest radius I expect to need and then make several passes for tighter radius. This will give much smaller ridges than a ball end mill as the curve of the cutting edge is in the same direction as I need. Is this a reasonable plan?

It's only an initial estimate of the radius. With such a small radius I could put it on by hand but there are some corners (rectangular pocket with radius corners that would make that harder. I also need to do some larger radius of about 0.125 so thinking I may get a large radius tool and a small radius tool (perhaps about 0.060) and try to cover whatever I end up needing with those.
    ...Kellering ? was old school term for profiling (hand traced)
    https://www.kennametal.com/us/en/abo...ring--and.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...Kellering ? was old school term for profiling (hand traced)
    https://www.kennametal.com/us/en/abo...ring--and.html
    Interesting video. Not sure how that can be applied to my situation beyond what I laid out - using a slightly oversized corner radius tool to make a radius with less cusp height than using a ball end mill. Seems like the same thing to me and lends support for the basic method.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post

If your step over is like .001 you will get a very smooth radius with a Ball nose mill, so it is all about how much time you want it to take to cut the radius, step over = time, if you need to buy a round over cutter then look at Nine9 brand they are the best there are

https://nine9.jic-tools.com.tw/corner-rounding.htm

Mactec54