Setting work offset on irregular parts

Thread: Setting work offset on irregular parts

Default Setting work offset on irregular parts

Hi,

I have a job coming up where the part is larger than the XY travel on my table, so I’m planning on doing the part in a few ops.

The issue I have is the part has no straight edges to pick up with an edge finder. It’s basically an irregular doughnut shape, however there a lots of bored holes I can locate, however I would need to locate multiple holes to get accurate rotation of the part.

My question is there a way in fusion 360 to probe multiple bores to set a work offset?

I hope this makes sense, cheers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setting work offset on irregular parts

You only want to use one hole as the reference for each setup. But dial in two holes to get the rotation correct. The way I do this is to move the machine to the 0,0 location then locate the reference hole and clamp the part down near that hole, then move the machine to the second hole location, and move the part to zero out that location the expected coordinates. A coaxial indicator would work well for this.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Default Re: Setting work offset on irregular parts

That’s simple, I’ll give it a go.
    Hopefully I can hit the tolerances

Thanks