Reversing!

Thread: Reversing!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Reversing!

Hi all
    Is it possible to find the finished part shape and dimensions from machining G-codes? Suppose we have all tool data and offsets and wp zero positions. TNX

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Reversing!

It's possible. But I think a lot of work. The easier way might be to just run the part in some easy to machine material and then scan it.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim, but I don't intend to spend on scanning, I just want to challenge this method by software(s). Can U elaborate on it a bit more?

Downloads
    Uploads

If I were doing this in my shop I would use CamBam since I have it on my computers. CamBam will open a G code file and display the tool paths and has a tool path to DXF converter built in. Then open the generated DXF file in any compatible program and offset the lines the proper amount for the tool sizes.

I'm sure there is other software that will generate a DXF file from G code also.

Like I said, a lot of work, but possible.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

If all you need to do is make a mirror image of the part you've got G-code for, it would be simpler to use your machine control program to flip the direction bit of the axis you want to mirror it on. People do this all the time by accident and get their lettering reversed; you could do it on purpose. Just remember to switch it back when you're done.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

What's needed here is software that will output a nice solid. I'm drawing a blank, please report back if you find something that works and doesn't cost 2 arms and a leg.

G-code Ripper will export a tool path as dxf which I suspect is the same thing cambam does. Whether offsetting that path will accurately represent the actual part leads to thinking about paths that "roll around sharp corners" and that leads to wondering about other places where tangencies come into play. Plus it's dxf which isn't ideal imo.

Camotics can output an stl from g-code which represents the cut part rather than the tool path. The problem here is it's a high-count mesh and now we're worse off than having a dxf.
    If you know some 'mesh-magic' maybe something is possible ?

Good luck in your search.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Playing with this idea reveals insetting a tool path takes care of tangencies which only proves CAD is much more clever than I am. No surprise there
    Still searching for a good and free working solution.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tnx for your helps dudes