CW75 Copper Tungsten

Thread: CW75 Copper Tungsten

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CW75 Copper Tungsten

Anyone have some insight on machining copper tungsten? 25% copper / 75% tungsten, something I have never worked with. My tooling on hand consists of mostly 3 flute ZrN coated carbide for aluminum.
    I have found some recommendations from various manufactures of the material but I'm looking for some input on tooling used, 3/4/5 flute?? I have the recommended S&F.

Thanks,
    Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CW75 Copper Tungsten

Hello from the future (well, 10-2023 anyhow), Steve; so you got NOTHING from anybody on this query in 2020?? Jeez! I, too, am trolling around on the topic this morning. I've used CW75 quite a lot for use in very stable, small (few cubic inch) laser assemblies; though not recently. I've machined it some, but only very small one-off parts, and didn't pay much attention to my tooling and such, probably back then just used like 4 flute HHS end mills, and 'slow and steady' on S&Fs on an old Bport. Here in 2023 I'm looking at making a fairly sizeable part (~ 1.5"x2"x0.6", lots of features) on my Tormach 770M, and certainly want to try to set it up as sensibly as I can, etc. So, looking around on it, too. I do remember its 'metal matrix composite' nature and how it sort of creates more like dust than it does chips in milling. I used it for its high thermal conductivity, rigidity, and good CTE match to kovar. Charley in Colo