cheap double vise

Thread: cheap double vise

Downloads
    Uploads

Default cheap double vise

Money is tight right now and I have a job for two 6" double vises next to each other with parts located in soft jaws. I already own an orange vise and really like it but two of their doubles just aren't in my budget, esp with an uncertain economic future. For those that own one of the cheap $300 double vises on Ebay/Amazon/etc am I going to hate myself in the morning for getting one or for small aluminum parts in soft jaws are they OK?

My thinking is that since the center is fixed the soft jaws should take care of the location accuracy and then it's a matter of the jaw tightening properly. Are they so bad that the top of the jaws will spring and widen up and the parts won't be tight? Or are they good enough to hold small aluminum parts with pretty light cuts (1hp max even though my machine is 10hp).

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cheap double vise

I have a couple sets of double vises and found non work good ,, I just fixture all the production parts and find the few hours spent as returned vary fast ,,, mitee bite is your friend ,,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    I have a couple sets of double vises and found non work good ,, I just fixture all the production parts and find the few hours spent as returned vary fast ,,, mitee bite is your friend ,,
    Sounds like good advice, thanks. How do you accurately position a part with an odd shape with Mitee Bites like you would with a soft jaw?

Downloads
    Uploads

I use pitbull clamps for most first opp parts and second opp parts get held with uni-force or machinable uni- force clamps ,,, there is a lot of youtube stuff on all the mitee bite stuff,,, just don`t do the 6 sided ones, they dont work vary good for most parts,