New Machine Build My Skyfire SVM-2 build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Skyfire SVM-2 build

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Skyfire SVM-2 build

Those familiar with SkyFire know the relationship of the Mikinimech machines and the Skyfire SVM-2. I am using the SVM-2P-1A as the base machine for my new build. The changes I am making is that I will be using LinuxCNC as my control software instead of Mach 3.

I made this choice since I have previously modified two Sieg Desktop mills to add CNC control in which I used LinuxCNC. The first was a Habor Freight minimill which is closer in size to the SVM-0. The second was the Harbor Freight Small mill closer to the SVM-1. In the first case I hand scraped the ways, end finished the ball screws, and modified ball nuts so they would work as preloaded dual ball nuts. In both cases I used the Gecko 540 stepper drives. The second machine, I wimped out and just replaced the hand cranks with "homemade clamp on stepper motor assemblies." While they have served my purposes for several years, I now yearn for more capacity, rigidity, speed and accuracy. I am also tired of manually making the tool changes.

I have the SVM-2P-1A on order but to expedite the conversion to LinuxCNC I have also ordered one of the servo and Driver sets, so I can experimentally determine the best for me configuration.

In addition, since I am tired of the two handed multistep tool changes on my small mill, I have ordered the SVM-1 power draw bar. This last order will be shipped to me by Air. But I can get the draw bar, Servo, and Servo Driver with Air Shipment costs included for less than I can get the Tormach draw bar.

If any interest I will continue sharing my experiences.

Hubert

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Skyfire SVM-2 build

Please do continue to post about your buy/build. Thanks!

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Please do continue to post about your buy/build. Thanks!
    x2

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

My first step, is getting a computer ready to control. The computer I will be using is based on Gigabyte AMD AM1 FS1b Socket HDMI D-Sub mATX Motherboard GA-AM1M-S2H. It is housed in a Rosewill slimline microATX case. The processor is a AMD 5150 APU. quad core 1.6Ghz. It has a 64GB SSD, 4GB of ram. This computer is less than $200. I have a similar one using parallel ports to drive a stepper based homebuilt mod to a Seig X3 mill, but this one will use a Mesa 7I25 connecting to either a 7I76 or 7I77 or both daughter cards depending on how I want to configure the Driver cards. The Daughter cards will replace the USB smooth stepper in the Skyfire.

Initially I will test the computer on a home brew Seig X2 conversion using stepper motors. This will emulate having the drivers set to stepper mode. Once I receive the Servo Motor and Servo drive, I will start checking other configurations.

Of course if the new machine appeared overnight I wouldn't take the time to emulate anything.

For the spindle emulation, I have a Hitachi VFD that will drive a 3-phase 2hp Synchronous Mode with an incremental decoder for feedback. At first blush this looks somewhat similar to what is being provided as an AC servo and driver for spindle. But again this is just an emulation to get some experience with the things necessary to control this size of a mill.

I won't get very far for the next couple of weeks since We are making a road trip to visit My oldest Son in New England.

Hubert

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received the tracking notice for my first shipment from SkyFire. This includes one servo, and servo driver and a power drawbar for an SVM-1 that I will use on Seig X3 that I had converted to CNC. They are due in on May 3 the day I will return from my visit to New England. I can't complain about this timing.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have completed my trip to New England and am now waiting the arrival of parts from SkyFire and Mesa. Fedex Tracking has been updated to show expected delivery on May 5th.

In my previous post I identified the computer interface as Mesa 7I25, this should be 6I25.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for keeping an updated thread. I'm really looking forward to following along and seeing your impressions of the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi hab82, I'm very interested in what you are doing here, thanks for keeping us updated.

regards,

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hubert,
    Keen to see how you are progressing with this build

Cheers,
    Beano

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean_pm View Post
    Hi Hubert,
    Keen to see how you are progressing with this build

Cheers,
    Beano
    Sorry I have been off line so long. I have found myself swamped with other activities. SkyFire offered to provide my machine with LinuxCNC and their schedule seemed to be quicker than I could find time to do it myself. At last report the Machine is built. Initial trials with LinuxCNC on a SVM-1 worked. The plan is to implement on SVM-2 this weekend. Just checked, they are currently testing on an Un-enclosed SVM-2 will transfer to My machine after all functions tested. The X, Y and Z axis are working, now debugging Home and limit switches. Spindle drive to follow and then moving on to the 12 Position ATC. I told them I will check back in a couple of days.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice, good to hear from you. Sounds really exciting, and I am doing something very similar, I have ordered a barebones SVM2, will DIY my MesaNET and LinuxCNC solution for it.

Would luv to see photos once you have them.

Cheers Mate!

Beano

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just grabbed a screen-shot of the position of the Cargo vessel, carrying my machine - fun days, but as Murphy's Law dictates, it will be ready for collection in the next 1-2 days, but I am flying out to Finland tomorrow. Luckily I have someone in my office that will arrange clearance and delivery, so I can pick it up from my office upon return.

This is where it is at the moment:

Now, my machine typically comes as a complete package, with Milling cabinet, all controls, servo motors etc, ready to operate - but I have discussed my requirements with Ren, he was happy to accommodate me, and my machine will come with an 8,000RPM 3.2KW spindle, VFD, Linear Ways, as well as ballscrews, setup and ready to go, as well as couplers and mounts for the servo motors.

I will however do my own controller, as well as provide the servos, which have arrived a few weeks ago already. Also, I will order the enclosure and Automatic Tool Changer in the next 6 months - this way, I could fork out available cash to get the machine, and I can then save up a bit for the nice-to-haves....

Here are pics of my machine, just prior to shipping, it is a custom designed-for-CNC from the ground up, and this particular build, based on my requirements and specifications:

Confiuration, as build:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

My machine is getting close to pickup time as well. It has made it through X-ray in Long beach and is being transported to Dallas. Expected release September 22. I have added so pictures of the machine made just prior to loading. This Machine was ordered to be LinuxCNC ready. complete with a 12 position ATC. Since I was too busy to work on it myself I asked them to proceed with the LinuxCNC install. Once I saw where I would now have the time, I asked them to ship as is. They still had a couple of unfinished issues with LinuxCNC as this was their first build with it. Since shipping they have provided updates removing some of the Issues. I am looking forward to the release of the machine.
    My Skyfire SVM-2 build-hubert-1-jpg
    My Skyfire SVM-2 build-hubert-2-jpg
    My Skyfire SVM-2 build-hubert-3-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Skyfire SVM-2 build-2016-08-15-16-48-11-jpg   My Skyfire SVM-2 build-2016-08-15-16-20-16-jpg   My Skyfire SVM-2 build-2016-08-15-17-41-53-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pictures will have to wait but My machine is now at the house. Two problems. The first is it will not fit through the door assembled. This means fully removing the Cabinet and disconnecting the electronics in the cabinet from the mill. Then removing the Mill from the base and moving the Mill through the door piece at a time, then reassembly. Pictures are being taken as the work progresses, but won't be posted until the work is completed.
    The second problem is the mill fell over onto its back while we were moving it off the pallet. This caused some damage that will be assessed during disassembly so replacement parts can be acquired.

My current assessment is the largest step is the disassembly with the marking and recording of connections so the proper reassembly occurs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there every body. may i ask about the skyfire cnc where its made from?

Downloads
    Uploads

China.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....there are more than one Skyfire CNC's....SVM-0.....SVM-1.......SVM-2....in various formats and builds as you want them......see more details on the website Skyfire.com.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

see more details on the website Skyfire.com.
    Ian.
    What is that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi......the website for Skyfire products?.....or have I got it wrong and the website has changed........I'll have a quick browse to see if it's the home site
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi...it's Skyfirecnc.com........at least that's what I browsed and got the range of products.
    Ian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast