A bit of advice needed

Thread: A bit of advice needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default A bit of advice needed

Background:
    Career fabricator that built a cnc x2 mini mill 10 yrs. ago with the help of this forum. got it built but sold it before I did much with it.
    Mostly just learned how to make decent cad drawings to give to actual machinist's

I am working with a small start up that is considering bringing our modest machining needs in house.
    Basically we need to drill and tap a number of vertical holes in 1/2"x2"x up to 12" solid aluminum extrusion.
    About 1-200 pcs a week would be plenty.

I am thinking a 3 axis mill with tool changer, but maybe that's overkill. We can afford the mill but I recall that software can cost a good bit.
    Played with mach3 back then but would that be suitable? I would like to learn to run this myself but we would be willing to hire someone with experience if necessary.

Fortunately we are thinking ahead so there is time to determine the correct path. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A bit of advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Hutkikz View Post
    Background:
    Career fabricator that built a cnc x2 mini mill 10 yrs. ago with the help of this forum. got it built but sold it before I did much with it.
    Mostly just learned how to make decent cad drawings to give to actual machinist's

I am working with a small start up that is considering bringing our modest machining needs in house.
    Basically we need to drill and tap a number of vertical holes in 1/2"x2"x up to 12" solid aluminum extrusion.
    About 1-200 pcs a week would be plenty.

I am thinking a 3 axis mill with tool changer, but maybe that's overkill. We can afford the mill but I recall that software can cost a good bit.
    Played with mach3 back then but would that be suitable? I would like to learn to run this myself but we would be willing to hire someone with experience if necessary.

Fortunately we are thinking ahead so there is time to determine the correct path. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
    You may not need a cnc mill to just drill and tap holes.

For a machine control Acorn, it one of the better controls that can do rigid tapping, Mach3 is still good for anything to do with milling, not so good in the rigid tapping area though.

Need to know if you need to do any milling on the parts??

A flex arm can be better for taping production run pieces like this, it can be mounted onto a work bench, and you would use fixtures for your parts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A bit of advice needed-flex-arm-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A bit of advice needed

We are a small manufacturer and went through the startup phase about 4 years ago. It was a big decision for us to move from manual machine prototyping to full on in house CNC machining. Our machining needs were a bit more complex than drilling & tapping a few holes, but after getting some quotes from local shops it made our decision much easier. We purchased a used, but like new, Haas TM-2p with a 20 tool changer and never looked back.

If you have the budget for purchasing a CNC machine, then I would say go for it. Probably overkill for your current needs, but you will find a lot more uses for it in the future. Take a serious look at roll form tapping, works great in aluminum. That is what we use and have had very good luck with it.

CAD/CAM software ranges from free to crazy expensive. NanoCAD, an AutoCAD clone, has a free version and you can purchase the ''pro'' version for <$100 as I recall, CamBam is a simple CAM with some CAD capability software for $150. I can't remember if it supports rigid tapping.

For professional CAD/CAM 3D modeling software Fusion 360 is my go to choice. It is a subscription pricing model but is still a pretty good value, I think about $1200/year. Free subscriptions are available for hobbyists and startups. It works well and has a short learning curve if you have some CAD experience.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA