Taig micro mill having problems

Thread: Taig micro mill having problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Taig micro mill having problems

Hi,
    I own a taig desktop micro mill from super tech xp. Running superCam xp to operate the machine. I’m having an issue with servo fault error messages and it not letting me home the machine correctly. It keeps running me into a “servo fault” even though there’s nothing in the way of the path of machine.

Dennis Bohlke from Arizona is the one who created the superCam software to run the taig micro mill. I’ve tried connecting with him but can’t get through anyway I try.

I’ve attached photos of the machine to give you an idea of what I’m working with ..

Thank you so much for any help! Anything is appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taig  micro mill having problems-image-jpg   Taig  micro mill having problems-image-jpg   Taig  micro mill having problems-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Taig micro mill having problems

The Supertech servo system was developed by Dennis Bohlke, and nobody else knows much about it. It works with his Supercam software, which is another one of his own proprietary products that isn't the same as the regular G-code everyone else uses. If you can't got it to work, you might try some basic troubleshooting, like pulling off the motors and running the screws by hand to see if there's some kind of mechanical problem that's triggering the servo faults, that normally should only happen if the mill-head hits an obstruction, or there's an issue with the screws or slides. Make sure all of those are well-lubricated and running smoothly.

If there are no mechanical issues, the problems persist, and Dennis remains unavailable to help you've got two choices: either replace the controller with one that has compatible servo drivers (you might look at the Gecko 320 drives, which work with any brushed servos), or replace the whole servo control system -motors and all - with a stepper-based system like everyone else uses on these machines. Taig's own system would work, or you could build your own, using the Gecko G540 (which is quite popular for these machines) or whatever other components.you can find,

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, Dennis passed away around a year ago I think. I met his wife recently at a garage sale and purchased his last two mills. Incredibly nice lady and I have the same interests as him so I can't tell you how disappointed I was to never have met the guy in life when he lives 15 minutes from me. I'm running into the same issue as you. If I figure it out I will let you know. I thought it was the electronics in the controller, but I have tried different controllers and same issue with all of them. I think the issue is with the software and incorrect settings for the servos. Have you made any progress on it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeak98 View Post
    Hi,
    I own a taig desktop micro mill from super tech xp. Running superCam xp to operate the machine. I’m having an issue with servo fault error messages and it not letting me home the machine correctly. It keeps running me into a “servo fault” even though there’s nothing in the way of the path of machine.

Dennis Bohlke from Arizona is the one who created the superCam software to run the taig micro mill. I’ve tried connecting with him but can’t get through anyway I try.

I’ve attached photos of the machine to give you an idea of what I’m working with ..

Thank you so much for any help! Anything is appreciated!
    This appears to be a closed loop-system. A servo can fault, if the position(encoder) reported back to the control software is not within (commanded position error). This error is usually set in the software.
    Check the PID settings for all axes. A quick look at the website shows a software interface showing these settings.
    First, start a log of these settings. Compare them to those on the website. Make changes, note response and try again.
    Try a manual jog and see if the servo faults, make a note of which axis faults, adjust PID one value at a time and note changes.
    I would suggest downloading all information you can find, including the entire website.

If this does not work, as others have suggested, DC servo drives will be your best choice.

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taig  micro mill having problems-tresservo_pid_config-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luke, I just found this site. I may be able to help you if you're still having problems and you may be able to help me. Dennis Bohlke, unfortunately, discovered last summer that he had stage 4 colon cancer and passed away shortly after. He and I were working on controlling a Bridgeport series II knee mill, (monster). Due to the turmoil of him putting his affairs in order I didn't get a disc, With some help from Mrs. Bohlke I was able get most of the operating program with only one flaw. Due to the fact that I was operating blind I got to learn a "LOT" including dealing with the problem you described, for which there are several potential causes, including a burned out mosfet or bleed resistor. I would like to hear from you. My e mail is (ask_robert@hotmail.com).