We are making a deep drawn part out of 24 GA A1008 Drawing Quality Aluminum Killed steel. We've previously made this part with no problems, but apparently got a bad batch of material from our supplier since we can not make a part without fracturing using this material. We switched to another supplier and got good material and were then able to make the parts.

My question is this... I just met with the sales rep for the supplier and he showed me the test report showing that the material was within spec for drawing quality steel. However, the report also showed that the material had been received in 2009 - it had been sitting on their floor for 7 years! Not sure how far fetched this is, but the rep thought that since the material was aluminum killed, and aluminum can age harden, maybe this stuff got harder as it sat around for 7 years. Does anyone think that is feasible? Is there anything else about drawing quality steel that would cause it to harden up over time?

The situation has been resolved now and we're going to be credited for the bad material, so there is no real urgency to this question. I'm just really curious...

Thanks,
Mike