Problem 1"-8 tap

Thread: 1"-8 tap

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1"-8 tap

Hello, I'm tapping a 1-8 thread in 304L on a cnc lathe with rigid tapping, it's a 2-1/2 deep blind hole but have room for chips, minor is 3-1/2 deep, I was using a 4 flt hand tap but it broke on the 6th part, I was peck tapping at every 1/2 inch, I put in a spiral point 3 flt and wondering if I should peck or not seeing that the spiral point will push the chips ahead of the tap, I tapped one hole and looked like it was re-cutting the chip, try'ed to blow the chip off, didn't work, I'm using oil. any help would be great. thank's

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1"-8 tap

I use these in 304. Blind Hole Inch Powertap Cut Taps - GUHRING

But never a tried 1-8 in SS, normally 1/2-20. Don't even know if my lathe would rigid tap a 1-8. These do a nice job of pulling the chips out of the hole. Almost never have any chips left in the hole. If the spec will allow it, try a minor diameter of 0.9219 (59/64) This will give a 50% thread depth, standard for SS.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply, I'm leery of of the spiral flute taps kind of weak but I'll take a look, I know Guhring make's good stuff. Have you try'ed roll tap in stainless? strong tap for sure. if I have to I will single point the thread, taps are about $70 and up, gotta find something that's gonna work for the long run. thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

No, never tried form taps in stainless.

I thread mill in my lathe 1''-8, 1.5'' deep for one part I make, in 6061, do it in one pass. Not sure there is a thread mill cutter with a shank 2.5'' long that would do a 1''-8

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a Samsung SL45 straight 2 axis lathe, no live tools or Y axis, just big, lots of power, 50 hp.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a lot of lathe Makes my Hardinge Conquest 42, 10 HP seem kinda wimpy.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Haa, Iv'e run Hardings in the past, all the way back to the AHC and HNC days, Good machines, hold good size, I always hated the left handed control though but I see they do have some on the right now. I still use there 9136 deep hole macro. I'm very surprised how well this big lathe holds size, not bad at all. thanks