Need Help! Anodizing

Thread: Anodizing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anodizing

Dear All,

Hope you are all doing well.
    I work as a supplier development engineer at Textile machinery company. We have only supplier that supplies us with aluminum profiles which are anodized (thickness - 100 microns).
    2 weeks ago I found another supplier like a backup supplier. And we made some trails even 1st samples were extruded successfully, but anodizing thickness still like: 70-80 microns, couldn't reach 100 microns.
    When I asked its secret from our current supplier, they didn't want to tell. Is there somebody who knows anodizing process well and who can tell me what I have to do in order to reach 100 microns.
    I would really appreciate if you could help me!
    With warm regards,
    Bekmurod

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anodizing

1. Use regulated current supply, rather than regulated voltage.
    2. Do the right maths for the surface area of the part.
    3. Leave it in there long enough.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    1. Use regulated current supply, rather than regulated voltage.
    2. Do the right maths for the surface area of the part.
    3. Leave it in there long enough.
    +1 to all 3

Automated Machinery Designer - PCNC1100 Series III upgrade, Graziano Sag 12 Lathe
    Solidworks 2016 (SW Certified), HSMWorks

Downloads
    Uploads

In fairness, as the film thickness increases it gets harder to push the current through so you end up needing a higher and higher voltage to keep growing the layer. Stronger acid may be required, and they may be using some magic catalyst in there to help punch the ions through.

If the backup supplier can't already do it then either their gear isn't up to it or they don't want your business enough to try - ie even if you do find out a way of getting a thicker layer, they may well not be interested in upgrading equipment, supplies or procedures to provide you with what you need. Personally I'd be tempted to step back, not engage in fixing their problems, and find another alternate supplier.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for advice!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bekmurod View Post
    Dear All,

Hope you are all doing well.
    I work as a supplier development engineer at Textile machinery company. We have only supplier that supplies us with aluminum profiles which are anodized (thickness - 100 microns).
    2 weeks ago I found another supplier like a backup supplier. And we made some trails even 1st samples were extruded successfully, but anodizing thickness still like: 70-80 microns, couldn't reach 100 microns.
    When I asked its secret from our current supplier, they didn't want to tell. Is there somebody who knows anodizing process well and who can tell me what I have to do in order to reach 100 microns.
    I would really appreciate if you could help me!
    With warm regards,
    Bekmurod
    Have to say the replies have no substance at all, 100 microns, would be very difficult to do with normal anodizing process 70 to 80 is good for normal anodizing, you would have to use Hard coating process to reach that thickness which is done with a different process, so the two processes don't compare, the other supplier was hard coating that's why you where getting 100 microns, but this tends to get cracks in if there is to much flex in the extrusion when is service

So a thicker coating is not always a good idea on a soft core

It will also depend on the Grade of Aluminum you are using, as to the anodized thickness also, so there are many things to check

Mactec54