270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?

Hi guys,

Just curious. 270+ pages on Epoxy Granite. Too much to read and to be honest, someone can use the info there for their PhD thesis or something. Anyone actually made a working table (Nevermind, happened to browse thru page 150+ and saw the results).

Alex

Similar Threads:

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a sticky on the subject, missed that one?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38800

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default world wide web

Hello mate,

the Germans do the same in 5 pages and with nice results,
    They are my neighbours, i`m from the Netherlands.

They don`t talk much, but say a lot.
    This, we dont see that often, the inverse off politics.
    I regret that the shaming smiley isn`t there any more, was nice.

Regards,

Roy B.

Here the machine,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-5805_110778858777_cnc_fraese_017-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sven,

I actually saw the sticky but so much info I was dumbfounded. I however realised there is actually a result done by someone here somewhere on page 150+.

Hi Roy,

The picture you attached is it taken from the website or it it your work? Interesting. Really like the dovetail ways. I wanted to do something similar for a mini mill table but a guy in a local institution here who runs a machine shop in the school never did cut the metal for me (probably busy with students) so the project was shelved.

The table size and travels look abit small.

Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default German engineering

Hi Alex,

here are some links to nice machines on the cncecke, not all epoxy granite.
    http://5128.rapidforum.com/topic=110778858777
    http://5128.rapidforum.com/topic=110771823729&startid=1
    http://5128.rapidforum.com/topic=110772920369
    http://5128.rapidforum.com/topic=110773430368
    http://5128.rapidforum.com/topic=110773130998

You must log in or registrate

And last a picture off a machine i would love to make if there was budget off around 1500 euro.

Regards,

Roy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-naamloosrer-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roy,

Tried to register. But not sure whether I manage to register. Still ahven
    t receive any email from them. And plus its in german. Can't understand.

Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ok

ach so,

registreren is registrate
    login is login,

maybe the mail will come tomorrow, otherwise try again.

regards,

roy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understood those words but after registering, nada! I don't understand the words after that. Nothing recognisable I am afraid. Still no mail. It is possible to attach the pictures to this thread? Sorry for the trouble Roy.

Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

I was able to register. A few pix on my cnccookbook blog so you can see what they're doing:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm

Search "German Epoxy Granite".

It's very nice work!

Cheers,

BW

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! Just wow! Thanks Bob. And thanks for the ingredient

That is similar to what I wanted to do. My only problem is getting precision cut metal pieces done. Can I get that kind of cut surface with an X2? I have all the stuff like steel reinforcement, epoxy, stone, quartz and etc minus the steel inserts. Can't wait to do this project. Now I just have to find the extra dough and time.

Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default more pictures off the same machine

here guys,

if i have some more time i will show some different machines.

regards,

Roy B.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-1-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-2-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-3-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-4-jpg  

270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-5-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-6-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-7-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-8-jpg  

270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-9-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-10-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-11-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-12-jpg  

270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-13-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-14-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-15-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default little text, but important data

get your translating right

No vacuum or vibration, just get the mixing order right. (trial and error)

30% Basaltsplitt 2-4 mm (links), 30% Fugensand 0-2 mm (mitte), 30% Quartzsand 0,1-0,4 mm (rechts) und 10% Epoxyharz L und harter L von R&G.DE

Put the **** in the mould and compress by hand a little bit (piece off wood)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-1-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-2-jpg   270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alexccmeister View Post
    Wow! Just wow! Thanks Bob. And thanks for the ingredient

That is similar to what I wanted to do. My only problem is getting precision cut metal pieces done. Can I get that kind of cut surface with an X2? I have all the stuff like steel reinforcement, epoxy, stone, quartz and etc minus the steel inserts. Can't wait to do this project. Now I just have to find the extra dough and time.

Alex
    Note that there are lots of different formulations for E/G. You'll want to try some experiments before committing to any particular mixture. Availability of local aggregate materials will be a factor too.

I have used E/G to fill my mill base and partially fill the column in order to increase dampening and rigidity. It was very easy to do and those components are now significantly more "dead" if you ring them with a piece of metal.

Here is the home page for my CNC conversion:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillCNCHome.html

The E/G work is a link off that page, see the list at the top.

As for whether you can produce surfaces as shown, I don't know why flycut pieces on your mill wouldn't suffice for the same sort of metal inserts. Hoss gets a fine finish on his Sieg mill. There are other interesting alternatives as well. For example 1-2-3 blocks are cheap and fairly precision, and they have threaded holes. You could contrive to use them at similar places to where this German has metal mounting plates.

Cheers,

BW

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bib,

Thanks. I just need to sturdy up my mill abit. I am getting some unwanted vibrations. Especially from the Z axis. And my Z axis cnc kit isn't helping either. Its moving about too much if there is a large load acting on the spindle. This is mainly due to me drilling an ocersize hole where the cncfusion kit is seated on the dovetail. Very annoying. Due to his as well, I am getting alot of backlash on my Z axis evertime I move teh head up and down.

And thanks for the link. I have bookmarked your website for reference.

Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

Veteg,

Wow, those machines are extremely impressive! Look virtually like commercial quality machines.
    Thank you for posting the pics and translated "recipe".
    I have joined Peter's CNC Ecke forum but have trouble with finding where any of the tests and recipe's are for E/G. Wish I could speak some German.

Could I just be a slight pain and clear up some of the translation?

Fugensand - ? Is this a particular type of sand?

Epoxyharz L und harter L von R&G.DE - Epoxy Resin and hardener
    I assume it's from here;http://shop.ezentrum.de/4DCGI/ezshop?hid=27&sprachnr=2
    But does not specify which or is it not that crucial? Do you know?

Have you started any build yourself?

Myself, I'm playing with the idea of making some parts for a grinding machine I have in mind.

---
    Thanks also to BW for the blog! Very nicely done and great pics.

Cheers everyone!
    Zathras

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default german

Hello mates,

Here the link for the right epoxy,
    It`s a epoxy resin and a harder.
    You need for both the L type
    and mixed 100:40 by weight or volume.

This combination of epoxy and harder need to be mixed with 3 extra components:

(you have the mix of epoxy resin L and harder L (100:40))
    mix this with;
    - basaltsplit (small rocks named basalt)
    - sand 1 ( quartz sand
    - sand 2 ( fugensand (sand used for construction, fillersand( to fill )))

I would love to make a machine, but dont have money.
    ( 3000 euro, rolled preloaded double nut screws 0,023/300mm, preloaded linear bearings 1 axle 2 rails 4 wagons, Hf servo drive spindle, closed loop controller. etc. etc. etc. ( we should make 5 or 10 for us here)

if you been logged in on cnc ecke,
    http://5128.rapidforum.com/topic=110779201897&startid=1

Downloads
    Uploads

G'Day Veteq,

Thanks for clearing the ingredients mix up. ...and the link too.

Sorry to hear you can't do your dream machine.Yeah it's expensive to do a build. Especially new components!
    Even bargains I got on eBay add up so quickly, but I wouldn't have a chance otherwise.
    If eBay is still not your thing, you might try Chinese parts sources from Alibaba if you're desperate like me.
    I've only just started looking into this myself. I don't know if it's worth it yet because the real price is in the quality (unknown) and the import costs.
    I'm only considering this because I can not afford one sold here (around $2000USD + delivery) and no one makes them in Australia.

My only other alternative is to make a base myself out of E/G! Well, I might try it anyway if all else fails.

Good luck Veteq

Regards to the Netherlands from Australia!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default true

hello again,

indeed, i have to be realistic, the paypal account is made.

Here another nice link, one off the starters of the german epoxy thread

http://www.thomas-zietz.de

choose "neu im programm".

regards.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270+ pages for E/G. Anyone successfully made a table out of this stuff?-5805_110779201897_minerallguss_4-jpg  
    Last edited by veteq; 09-20-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default E/G Thread Status

Hi guys,

Greybeard has made a few parts for a machine he is building. Bob already mentioned his project. I and most others haven't made any parts because we would like to have a material with a known performance that's better than what we're working with so far.

I could certainly make a table at this point but after talking with Harlow at CNCBridges, I'd prefer to design a table that is more manufacturable than his turned out to be and stronger and more rigid than any I can build with the materials we've made so far on the E/G thread.

I for one have kept working on the E/G thread because I would like to thoroughly understand the material, all similar materials, and other materials for other things I would like to make. My own goals are much deeper than building a simple hobby machine as are the goals of others still working on the E/G thread.

It's fairly easy to fill a machine for damping purposes. Any mixture of sand, rocks and epoxy will work well.

Doing heavy structural parts that are thermally stable, strong and rigid enough for good performance, and wear resistant enough for durable sliding ways that remain accurate is more difficult. It's harder to know the exact performance of the material, why it has the components it does, and how to make it better. Any of us can put epoxy and rocks in a mold. Those of us still over on the E/G thread have been working from first principles to design a material that is good for the structural parts of machines that the original Studer material wasn't intended for.

Thomas Zietz has built some good machines, done good engineering and should be praised. All I have seen of his work is excellent. He has a solution now and I would encourage folks who have a current need to look at his solution.

The work on the E/G thread is considering all available technology including cutting edge stuff that has not seen wide application yet. I suspect we'll come up with something pretty unique and functional when we get there. The E/G thread is a chance to see real R&D happening. It is a lot more difficult than just putting something together in the basement.

If I can be of any assistance personally to folks who are actually building machines, please don't hesitate to post on the E/G thread.

Regards all,

Cameron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default nice to hear of you

Hello Cameron,

indeed, the epoxy used by the Germans is a basic solution that is really a hobby type.
    A product like Zanite isn`t made in 2 days, there is a lot of engineering behind it. One of the nice parts on this forum is to read about big projects.

One others nice part is that there aren`t any bosses running around screaming that the deadline is coming close, real optimization.

Good luck with the project and i would love to see a Hermle type of machine oneday!!!

Kind Regards,

Roy B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast