Designing servo driven bt30 setup - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Designing servo driven bt30 setup

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing servo driven bt30 setup

yes the inner race of the top bearing is clamped down by the top plate/bell. so it sounds like the outer race slip fit is by design. the more I think about it, I don't how you would assemble the spindle if that outer race was press fit. The spindle shaft is already constrained in height by the preloaded pair below so you would have to press in the top bearing with a sleeve on the outer race from the top and stop at exactly the right height to not preload the bearing with some random amount as the inner race stops on the shoulder of the shaft. so I can see why that would need to be a slip fit. I'll still contact the seller and another spindle shop just to male sure. It's still hard for me to wrap my head around how that outer race isn't just going to wear into the spindle bore over time and eventually get enough clearance to start turning faster and causing real damage, but maybe it just won't move at all once I tension the belt.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    yes the inner race of the top bearing is clamped down by the top plate/bell. so it sounds like the outer race slip fit is by design. the more I think about it, I don't how you would assemble the spindle if that outer race was press fit. The spindle shaft is already constrained in height by the preloaded pair below so you would have to press in the top bearing with a sleeve on the outer race from the top and stop at exactly the right height to not preload the bearing with some random amount as the inner race stops on the shoulder of the shaft. so I can see why that would need to be a slip fit. I'll still contact the seller and another spindle shop just to male sure. It's still hard for me to wrap my head around how that outer race isn't just going to wear into the spindle bore over time and eventually get enough clearance to start turning faster and causing real damage, but maybe it just won't move at all once I tension the belt.
    How it works if the center of the bearing is locked then the outside will need to float for heat expansion but the Bearing should not be able to turn in the housing the bore has to be very precisely machined to get the correct size fit for the Bearing

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

ok that makes sense. so it needed to be a slip, but not that much slip. here's an idea, maybe not a good one. I still need to design my headstock so i could put a threaded hole through the side of the headstock that lines up with that top bearing and use a set screw to press a few tenths of oval into the spindle body to help it grip that outer race. I can pull the top plate off while the spindle is mounted so I can watch the bearing while turning the spindle as I tighten the set screw just enough to stop the spinning of the bearing. could that work? I really don't wanna ship this thing back to china.

Downloads
    Uploads

ok that makes sense. so it needed to be a slip, but not that much slip. here's an idea, maybe not a good one. I still need to design my headstock so i could put a threaded hole through the side of the headstock that lines up with that top bearing and use a set screw to press a few tenths of oval into the spindle body to help it grip that outer race. I can pull the top plate off while the spindle is mounted so I can watch the bearing while turning the spindle as I tighten the set screw just enough to stop the spinning of the bearing. could that work? I really don't wanna ship this thing back to china.
    For a Bearing that need to move like this you would use some spring pressure on the outer Bearing race I don't think a screw would be a good idea so just modify the end cap for a spring loaded ring to push against the outer Bearing race some snips to give you an idea there are also other way to use a compression spring mounted in a holder and push against a flat ring

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing servo driven bt30 setup-bearing-wave-spring-png   Designing servo driven bt30 setup-bearing-wave-spring-2-png   Designing servo driven bt30 setup-belleville-washers-png   Designing servo driven bt30 setup-wavy-washer-jpg  

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

on my spindle the end plate spins with the shaft and inner race, so I can't use a spring between the plate and outer race. I'll take some pics later.

Downloads
    Uploads

another question on my bt30 headstock. For my current Chinese spindle i built a clamping style headstock which is obviously needed since there is no flange to bolt through, but the bt30 mount will be different. I'm assuming these flanged type spindle cartridges are not meant to be clamped, rather just slip fit into a bore and bolted through the flange. question is, what type of fit does that bore need to be? From a couple videos I've seen of cartridges being pulled, it seems it basically falls out once the flange bolts are removed. Is this usually just a clearance fit and a few thou of slop is fine? Or is more critical? I don't know if the flange is being relied on for all the rigidity of the spindle, or if the fit of the bore plays a role in that. I could design the headstock to both clamp on the od of the cartridge and bolt through the flange, but maybe that can potentially distort my spindle bearings and cause problems?
    if I only need the flange surface for rigidity, I can 100% mill the headstock and just give a couple thou of clearance in the bore, but if the bore fit is more critical, I will need to get creative and mount the roughed out headstock on the turning spindle to finish the bore and face. my machine could handle that, it's just gonna be a lot more work to fixture the headstock on my turning spindle. Any advice on how I should approach this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is a very close clearance fit. It is not a hand-press transition fit, but there is essentially zero wiggle.

The way my headstock is cast & machined, the cylindrical section is supported - more or less - by an internal 'sleeve' which supports about 1/2 the spindle length between the flange and upper bearing. The headstock isn't bored from solid, but it also doesn't simply rely on the flange for locating and/or support.

When I bore mine out for the 90mm spindle, my plan is to bore close but not aim for a gauge fit. I'd planned to grease (or mold release) the spindle OD and basically epoxy-grout the spindle in place after boring and drilling for the flange. Hope is to transfer as much of the side loads in to the head box and not just on the bottom plate the flange is bolted to.

I think clamping plus flange would distort it or stress the head. My inexpert advice is to design the headstock so that you have an inch of engagement thickness at the flange end (bottom) and another inch at the top of the spindle - or as far from the flange as your required belt clearance geometry permits. And figure out how to support the top without distortion - maybe a bit of epoxy grout.

Downloads
    Uploads

another question on my bt30 headstock. For my current Chinese spindle i built a clamping style headstock which is obviously needed since there is no flange to bolt through, but the bt30 mount will be different. I'm assuming these flanged type spindle cartridges are not meant to be clamped, rather just slip fit into a bore and bolted through the flange. question is, what type of fit does that bore need to be? From a couple videos I've seen of cartridges being pulled, it seems it basically falls out once the flange bolts are removed. Is this usually just a clearance fit and a few thou of slop is fine? Or is more critical? I don't know if the flange is being relied on for all the rigidity of the spindle, or if the fit of the bore plays a role in that. I could design the headstock to both clamp on the od of the cartridge and bolt through the flange, but maybe that can potentially distort my spindle bearings and cause problems?
    if I only need the flange surface for rigidity, I can 100% mill the headstock and just give a couple thou of clearance in the bore, but if the bore fit is more critical, I will need to get creative and mount the roughed out headstock on the turning spindle to finish the bore and face. my machine could handle that, it's just gonna be a lot more work to fixture the headstock on my turning spindle. Any advice on how I should approach this?
    Depending on the Housing for the spindle, the Flange does all the work and alignment of the spindle axis is all done off the housing face and the spindle flange, so the od of the spindle must have clearance in the housing, or you can't align the axis

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec, im not sure im understanding. Are you suggesting the spindle cartridge should be a loose fit inside the bore of the headstock and alignment fine tuning is done by shimming under the flange of the spindle? My plan was to have the spindle and headstock together as a fixed unit and do any tramming adjustments between the headstock and z axis. One direction would be done just by rotating the mating surface between headstock and z axis, some movement will be allowed here by having the through holes in headstock for mounting bolts slightly over sized. Adjustment in other direction will need to be shimmed.

As for the issue of that spinning outer race on the top bearing, i think i have a solution that will work. I will use a wave spring as you suggested, but because of how the spindle is built, the top cap rotates with the spindle shaft so it cant be used to retain the top of the wave spring. Instead i will drop the wave spring in on top of that outer race, then i will machine a ring that drops in on top of the spring and expands against the body of the spindle to lock it in height. Havent decided exactly how to design that expanding ring, but i have a few ideas. Ive attached a couple pics showing how my spindle is built. In the third pic you can see the top bearing that im reffering to. The outer race turns slowly when turning the spindle. Also you can see how the top cap is designed. When installed, it clamps down onto the inner race of that top bearing and turns with the spindle shaft.

Designing servo driven bt30 setup-thumbnail_20200919_091906-jpg
    Designing servo driven bt30 setup-thumbnail_20200919_092005-jpg
    Designing servo driven bt30 setup-thumbnail_20200919_092026-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing servo driven bt30 setup-thumbnail_20200919_091906-jpg   Designing servo driven bt30 setup-thumbnail_20200919_092005-jpg   Designing servo driven bt30 setup-thumbnail_20200919_092026-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

To add to that last post, Heres a pic of what i was thinking for that expanding ring to retain the wave spring. The ring is split with a threaded hole through the split. I can thread mill this hole with a taper so when i drive a grub screw into it, it expands the ring and locks it into the id of the spindle.

Designing servo driven bt30 setup-expanding-ring-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing servo driven bt30 setup-expanding-ring-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec, im not sure im understanding. Are you suggesting the spindle cartridge should be a loose fit inside the bore of the headstock and alignment fine tuning is done by shimming under the flange of the spindle? My plan was to have the spindle and headstock together as a fixed unit and do any tramming adjustments between the headstock and z axis. One direction would be done just by rotating the mating surface between headstock and z axis, some movement will be allowed here by having the through holes in headstock for mounting bolts slightly over sized. Adjustment in other direction will need to be shimmed.
    Correct that is how most cartridge spindles are fitted, ( Machining centers any way ) but any way that works for your build will be fine you can always take more out if you had to, you can adjust the mounting of the housing also

Yes I see what they are doing, the center is all locked together with the nut behind the pulley, this all could be separated with just a center spacer to take the place of that rotating part

So the rotating part could be bored out with a small clearance on the center spacer that then could be fastened to the end of the spindle with 4 button head cap screws

Not sure why they would have that rotating at the top of the spindle like that, it is not serving any purposes

You will have to be carful with that open bearing

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Not sure why they would have that rotating at the top of the spindle like that, it is not serving any purposes
    The upper rotating part may be intended as a coolant/chip slinger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    The upper rotating part may be intended as a coolant/chip slinger
    It would be pretty bad setup if he had Coolant and chips at that end of the spindle, coolant if he had a through coolant spindle but there is no chance of that with this spindle design

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll probably leave the top cap alone. It does seem to be a convenient way of sealing the spindle. I took some measurements and the bottom, vertical, and top inside faces of that cap all come within about 10 thou of the corresponding faces of the spindle. don't think I would quite call it a labyrinth seal, but at least similar. 3 zig zagging faces all in close contact and in a good orientation for gravity and centrifugal force to direct coolant and particles outward like a slinger as mentioned. I will design in a way to keep coolant and chips away from the top end, but I think it's a good added layer of protection and not enough reason to change it. I think the expanding ring I mentioned should work well to retain the wave spring and in that case, no need to change the cap to be fixed.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll probably leave the top cap alone. It does seem to be a convenient way of sealing the spindle. I took some measurements and the bottom, vertical, and top inside faces of that cap all come within about 10 thou of the corresponding faces of the spindle. don't think I would quite call it a labyrinth seal, but at least similar. 3 zig zagging faces all in close contact and in a good orientation for gravity and centrifugal force to direct coolant and particles outward like a slinger as mentioned. I will design in a way to keep coolant and chips away from the top end, but I think it's a good added layer of protection and not enough reason to change it. I think the expanding ring I mentioned should work well to retain the wave spring and in that case, no need to change the cap to be fixed.
    If there was a fixed end cap you would have a regular seal running on the inner spacer that is how it is normally done if you where in a dirty environment, if that end is open in your design then a real seal would be best

With that design there is no way to control the labyrinth clearance attached with the center spacer , as this is part of your spindle bearing preload, the spindle I posted that I made is the same way, with the preload locking all the bearings together through the center, it's a better way to control expansion, the spindle will expand up towards the top, when the front bearings are preloaded just behind the front bearing the expansion will go towards the front which you don't want

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think it's the pinnacle of labyrinth seals, but it looks like an adequate slinger.

It's a Chinese spindle, rated for 10kRPM (I think). Built to a price point, so a real labyrinth seal or other sealing device rated for that RPM would add significantly to the cost. If the manufacturer - who doesn't know what the end installation looks like - wants to compete they have to keep the price down.

I suspect that top cap is a pretty decent compromise, at least compared to other really low-cost options to keep garbage out of the non-working end of a spindle. The top bearing can be unshielded/unsealed (lower friction/heat/cost), and there's no O-ring or face seal rubbing on expensive shafts. And the top cap and housing surfaces don't have to be extremely precise - 10 thou' is a mile when we're discussing precision ground surfaces. So no fussy installation alignment either.

Great? No, but I think - if I'm right about it being a slinger - it'll be perfectly suitable for the intended purpose of keeping bug chunks out of the top bearing. Especially if the spindle is protected from chips/coolant by sheet metal or some other shielding.

Downloads
    Uploads

agree'd, it'll work well enough for my purposes. If I designed and built my own spindle, I would probably do it differently, but for this machine I don't think the current layout of the spindle will have issues. I'll build an enclosure that seals off the whole top end including the belt drive. I'll probably use carbon fiber panels like I did on my mill turn spindle. I plan on building a somewhat high pressure flood coolant system for this machine so I definitely want things sealed off pretty well.
    That's a whole different subject that I want to discuss eventually. I see a lot of guys using sump pumps for diy flood and to me it seems like the wrong tool for the job. they are meant for very high volume low pressure. im thinking an rv diaphram pump could do quite well. 100psi and still enough volume.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there,

Following this thread as I also have purchased the same spindle. Did you have any trouble removing the original HTD pulley? Seems like mine is on there pretty tight and I will need to fabricate some sort of gear puller to get it off without prying? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ridekp View Post
    Hi there,

Following this thread as I also have purchased the same spindle. Did you have any trouble removing the original HTD pulley? Seems like mine is on there pretty tight and I will need to fabricate some sort of gear puller to get it off without prying? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    sounds like their tolerances arent super consistent. once i got the spanner nut off, mine slid off no resistance. i think it had at least a few thou clearance. if its just barely stuck on there, maybe you could try setting the spindle nose on a vise, just the drive dogs between the jaws and gently snug it up, then you can get a firm grab on that pulley and try twisting it back and forth as you pull. Maybe try some gentle heating as well. If its the same as mine, im not sure how a puller could grab the thing. mine sits directly on the top cap so theres no lip to get under and no features on the pulley to grab.

mine is very near complete. Its built, but im working through a few complications, mostly related to my servo motor. Its a dmm 1kw nema34. apparently they sometimes have issues getting to full rpm when run on residential power. Seems odd to me, not sure why my 200a service with a voltage of 238 would have issues, but they seem to think a firmware update will fix the issue so the drive its on its way back to canada. Other issue is the inertia of the whole setup which may be a bit much for the servo, mostly due to the drive pulley which is a 5mgt 80t. Its a 5 inch diameter almost 1 inch thick chunk of solid iron. While i wait for my drive to get updated, im going to modify the main pulley by hogging it out and making an aluminum spoked hub to reduce inertia down to less than half. I would have gone with a bigger servo for this, but it was the only convenient way i saw to get the rpm i wanted (12500) in a servo driven spindle. The 1kw was the biggest i could get with 5k rpm, the bigger servos top out at 3k and that surely would have required 2 stage gearing to get up to 12500. If the servo performs as stated in its speed torque graph, it will be plenty for what i want to do which is mostly smaller aluminum parts. As is, the gear ratio already results in a huge drive pulley. I have a 1:2.5 ratio which is 80t on the servo and 32 on the spindle. The 32 is a regular pulley from gates that i modified. had to bore it out beyond its specified limit. Worked out fine with plenty of material remaining, but the material that flanges are pressed onto was bored away so i had to design a 3 piece stack to give it new belt retaining flanges.

hoping to have this up and running soon. I did decide on a different method for the turning tools. rather than a secondary external taper to lock the holder, im locking the spindle internally and designing new spindle drive dogs that will accurately position the holder rotationally and give it rigidity in one direction which is all thats needed for the turning tools. internal locking device is a disk attached to the spindle shaft with wedges milled into it. an opposing wedge is driven into the pocket with pneumatic cylinder for locking. that wedge is cut into the end of a short section of 20mm hiwin bearing rail and it slides in bearing a carriage that is mounted to headstock. It will be a very rigid, very accurate lock. The parts for that mechanism are fully designed, but not machined yet. I want to thoroughly test the milling aspect first and make sure im satisfied with that before moving forward with the rest of it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh wow, yeah mine definitely does not just slide off. I'm planning to use a 24k Chinese spindle to drive mine so I am gearing in the complete opposite direction as you. I will be using a Gates PolyFlex JB rather than the HTD belt. Figured I would try this spindle first as I have it laying around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast