Designing servo driven bt30 setup - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Designing servo driven bt30 setup

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing servo driven bt30 setup

Quote Originally Posted by ridekp View Post
    Oh wow, yeah mine definitely does not just slide off. I'm planning to use a 24k Chinese spindle to drive mine so I am gearing in the complete opposite direction as you. I will be using a Gates PolyFlex JB rather than the HTD belt. Figured I would try this spindle first as I have it laying around.
    The chinese spindle will work great. I considered the same since i also have one, at least temporarily. If you gear it down 2:1 for 12k max, it will do pretty well at general machining with excellent power between 7k-12k and ok power down to 5k or so, but will still be kinda lacking at lower rpm. youll be able to get down to 3k, but even though torque is doubled, there was nearly none at that rpm to begin with. As long as you arent planning on drilling big holes, or running big endmills in steel, it should be a pretty nice general purpose setup. Maybe you dont need 12k and are gearing down even further. I went with servo drive for a couple reasons. Rigid tapping, gear hobbing, toolholder clocking, and decent torque all the way down to zero rpm without using a massive motor. There are drawbacks though. The chinese spindle you plan to use really packs a punch for its size when run at the right rpm. At the upper range of rpm, your setup will have about double the power of mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    The chinese spindle will work great. I considered the same since i also have one, at least temporarily. If you gear it down 2:1 for 12k max, it will do pretty well at general machining with excellent power between 7k-12k and ok power down to 5k or so, but will still be kinda lacking at lower rpm. youll be able to get down to 3k, but even though torque is doubled, there was nearly none at that rpm to begin with. As long as you arent planning on drilling big holes, or running big endmills in steel, it should be a pretty nice general purpose setup. Maybe you dont need 12k and are gearing down even further. I went with servo drive for a couple reasons. Rigid tapping, gear hobbing, toolholder clocking, and decent torque all the way down to zero rpm without using a massive motor. There are drawbacks though. The chinese spindle you plan to use really packs a punch for its size when run at the right rpm. At the upper range of rpm, your setup will have about double the power of mine.

Yep that was my thought exactly. I'm going to start with a 2:1 setup and evaluate from there. Planning to machine mostly aluminum so it should work decently. If I ever get to the point of building an atc I have an idea for spindle orientation that is actuated separately from the spindle motor. But at that point, a servo might be the easiest way haha.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing servo driven bt30 setup

Quote Originally Posted by ridekp View Post
    Yep that was my thought exactly. I'm going to start with a 2:1 setup and evaluate from there. Planning to machine mostly aluminum so it should work decently. If I ever get to the point of building an atc I have an idea for spindle orientation that is actuated separately from the spindle motor. But at that point, a servo might be the easiest way haha.
    That will be a great setup for ripping up aluminium. Rigid tapping is nice to have if you need to get through a lot of threads quickly, but otherwise thread milling is great. I never used to do it before because thread mills are so expensive but recently I started ordering some tooling from aliexpress. Its surprisingly some really good stuff. Thread mills for 10 bucks that work just fine. As well as some endmills i found for 5-10 a piece. They look about identical to yg1 3 flute and perform great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123