Build Thread im upgrading my taig spindle motor to a clearpath AC motor... will it work?

Thread: im upgrading my taig spindle motor to a clearpath AC motor... will it work?

Default im upgrading my taig spindle motor to a clearpath AC motor... will it work?

Im wondering if the Taig mill has enough rigidity for this spindle motor from clearpath. I plan on cutting different steels at a reasonable rate.

Its a pricey motor so im wondering if it would be a waste of money if the machine is not ridged enough.

any one have any experience doing this? Does it sound like a good idea?

here is the link to the motor:
    https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CP...0565A-RLN_Fan/

or i could go less HP:
    https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-MCVC-3436P-RLS/

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: im upgrading my taig spindle motor to a clearpath AC motor... will it work?

That first motor, which weighs 27 lbs, is grossly out of scale with the Taig; the Z axis motor will have a hard time moving it up. The second one is more reasonable at 5.8 lbs, but since it tops out at 2370 rpm, you'd lose the 10,000 rpm top speed capacity of the Taig, which depends on the stock 3450 rpm motor. Rigidity isn't really the issue here, though - it's important to have a high-speed spindle if you want to use very small cutters..

Is the reason you're going with a servo motor for the spindle to do rigid tapping? Otherwise I don't really see the point. Putting an encoder on the spindle would do the same thing at much lower cost.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: im upgrading my taig spindle motor to a clearpath AC motor... will it work?

with a counter weight you can use as large a motor as you want.

as for the taig being stiff enough, forget it.

replace the 2.5" square steel L frame with 100 pound box beam made from 6" or larger channel iron (welded up to make a hollow L")

the .5" by 1.25" bar that is welded to the stock taig frame can be cut off and welded onto the new frame. fill the frame with sand.

you will need to grind it flat after welding since it will certainly warp.

the cheapest way to get the Z axis square is to get the plate vertical in both planes using a variety of methods. i hung a weight on a wire and ran the Z axis up and down and adjusted the leveling feet on the base until the motion was parallel with the wire

then pour epoxy on the lower base of the frame. then drill and tap the holes. add another piece of metal down the middle of the y axis extrusion to support it in the middle between the bolts.. otherwise when you tighten the bolts it bends the extrusion.

thanks for the replies.
    My intent is to cut steel at higher mmrs.
    The motor it comes with seems to stall sometimes.