Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle - Page 13

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    I added to my last post. I think I'll adjust the design of those to be drawn into a tapered shape so they aren't relying on just bolt pressure to prevent shear slipping as I agree they could get loose over time. A slight amount of flexing is ok as it will make the servo happier when locking, but I surely don't want the joint loosening up

I edited my post above also. Drive pins maybe? A couple of 1/2 or 5/8 dowel pins into plastic bushings might do the trick.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Seeing as how you are not able to pass material through the 4th axis per se, I would think that you could do away completely with the 4th axis part and attach a chuck directly to the servo motor spindle......just thinking...….I doubt that would be a solution but ….giggle, imagine if it was.....such a compact unit.....maybe a very big servo....hmmmmmm, perhaps a pancake type servo with a big diam hollow shaft.
    Ian.
    I had considered that at one point too, but a couple things. Even blocking off the back end with the servo, I can still fit almost 1 foot stock within the spindle. Also my spindle will handle MUCH higher radial loads than a servo. It has huge bearings compared to what's in the servo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I edited my post above also. Drive pins maybe? A couple of 1/2 or 5/8 dowel pins into plastic bushings might do the trick.
    I considered pins making the link as well, but with the direction of the forces, it's basically trying to parralelogram the square plates which surely isn't happening so I believe they will give a more rigid link than large pins would. I just need to make sure the joint can't slip. I'm modeling up an option to handle that

Downloads
    Uploads

heres what im thinking to change the joint of the linking plates. this would prevent any slipping. just need to make it a nice tight fit. similar to this but not exactly. probably want more meat in the "ears" of the pocket or they will just flex
    Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle-plate-joint-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle-plate-joint-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That should work if you have enough engagement.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    That should work if you have enough engagement.
    I'll also thicken up that rear plate like the front one is. I thinned it down trying to save overall length, but now that i figured out a way to shorten the ballscrew coupler an inch or so, i have room. It will be as thick as the front plate and give more engagement in the joint. Ill be able to get this joint a perfect press fit by starting with the side plates and then test fitting them into the pocket while removing a couple tenths at a time until the fit is perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing I'm gonna do to get everything concentric and running true, the nub on the back that the ballscrew coupler references on will be left slightly oversized, I'll assemble it onto the spindle and then turn down that nub to size using a long endmill by slowly feeding it in and turning the spindle by hand. This will make the reference nub perfectly concentric to the spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle-20190420_134902-jpg
    Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle-20190420_144055-jpg

Sorry, pic got flipped. Decided to play around a bit before i rebuild the mill turn for direct coupling. Dont have lathe tooling yet but i did have a cheap single insert indexable endmill. whipped out a mount for it and tried a cut. completely the wrong tool for the job, not a rigid mount, too much tool stick out, etc. still cut halfway decent lol. cant wait to do some real turning once i have some proper tools and mounts. i thinks its gonna work great judging by the results already with a terrible setup.
    Another thing I just realized, my mist cooling set up is gonna need some serious expansion for turning/milling in same program without stopping. Nozzle for each turning tool as well as one for main spindle. Letting them all run isn't gonna work unless I get a bigger compressor and waste a lot of coolant. Really wish I could setup for recycling flood and just let all the nozzles go, but just not an option for me. I think I'm gonna need a solenoid for each mist cooling nozzle and get tricky with my tool change macro. Assign solenoids to groups of tools that will be mounted in specific position.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle-20190420_144055-jpg   Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle-20190420_134902-jpg  
    Last edited by QuinnSjoblom; 04-20-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213