solid aluminum vs 8020 extrusion for small router frame?

Thread: solid aluminum vs 8020 extrusion for small router frame?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default solid aluminum vs 8020 extrusion for small router frame?

Is there any advantage to using 8020 extrusions over solid aluminum for a 2' x 4' router that I would like to build?

It needs to be as precise as reasonable possible, will be using ball screws and linear rails. Will be used mostly for hardwoods, and occasional aluminum & brass. I am a fairly competent machinist, have a bridgeport mill, and small and large lathes. Plus I have been accumulating cheap jig plate from the scrap yards and craigslist, 3/4 thru 1-1/4 thickness.

I don't weld, or I'd consider using steel tubing, altho I'd want to have the assembly stress relieved and doubt I could machine something that large flat, parallel, and square on a b'port.

I understand that the extrusion systems make it much easier for those without metalworking capacity, but is there any other reason to use them? I'm not worried about weight, I prefer heavier machinery for cutting abilities.