Need Help! Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?

Thread: Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?

Hello,
    I recently bought two H-beam profiles measuring 540mm x 220mm with thickness of the stem - 10mm and 12.5mm top and bottom. They are maybe 50 or 60 year old so I hope there will be no tension or stress left in the material. Are they suitable for mounting the linear guide rails on top of them? Will be there a lot of vibrations versus a square tube for example?

I have also uploaded a drawing example of a weldment which will be used for attaching the profiles to the machine that will grind the top surface to be level for mounting the linear guide rails. Will it be stable enough on only two legs?

Your help will be appreciated greatly.
    Best regards,
    Peter

Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-profil-h-beam540mmx220mm-jpgSteel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-konstrukciazaobrabotvane2-pngSteel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-skica-jpgSteel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-konstrukciazaobrabotvane-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-profil-h-beam540mmx220mm-jpg   Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-konstrukciazaobrabotvane2-png   Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-skica-jpg   Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-konstrukciazaobrabotvane-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bajlekov View Post
    Hello,
    I recently bought two H-beam profiles measuring 540mm x 220mm with thickness of the stem - 10mm and 12.5mm top and bottom. They are maybe 50 or 60 year old so I hope there will be no tension or stress left in the material. Are they suitable for mounting the linear guide rails on top of them? Will be there a lot of vibrations versus a square tube for example?

I have also uploaded a drawing example of a weldment which will be used for attaching the profiles to the machine that will grind the top surface to be level for mounting the linear guide rails. Will it be stable enough on only two legs?

Your help will be appreciated greatly.
    Best regards,
    Peter

Steel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-profil-h-beam540mmx220mm-jpgSteel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-konstrukciazaobrabotvane2-pngSteel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-skica-jpgSteel H-beam profiles for columns of big CNC router. Are they suitable?-konstrukciazaobrabotvane-jpg
    Maybe build a mitre box 2 by 1.5 mitre and a gantry with the leftovers, buy a plasma cutter and welder.

Wisdom results from foolishness!