Largest realistic dimensions for metal cutting CNC table

Thread: Largest realistic dimensions for metal cutting CNC table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Largest realistic dimensions for metal cutting CNC table

I’m about to attempt to build a CNC Mill/Router table that can effectively cut wood and soft metals (I.e. aluminum). I plan to make the frame out of 80/20 extrusion (I’ve purchased 2 72” 1030 beams and 1 58” 3030 beam. I would like to get as much table Area & Z travel as I can without sacrificing reliability or causing flex. What are realistic dimensions I could have? (I bought NEMA 34 (607 Oz-in) for the Z and a NEMA 23 with a gearbox for the X. I will probably use 2 NEMA 23s on lead screws with ballscrews for the Y. I’m thinking linear rails for the X and supported rails for the Y and Z. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Largest realistic dimensions for metal cutting CNC table

Usually the longest axis is called "X", but it sounds like you're calling it "Y". A gear box will add backlash to whatever axis you use it on. Without seeing a picture showing how you plan to employ them, it's difficult to say anything meaningful about your selection of materials, but only the most rigid router-style machines are suitable for cutting aluminum and other metals. Any material will flex to some extent, but how much flex is tolerable depends on how it's used and what your tolerances are. If you really want to cut aluminum, then I'd suggest well-supported profile rails on all axes; round rails are too sloppy.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to get as much table Area & Z travel as I can without sacrificing reliability or causing flex.
    Everything flexes, and the longer you make it, the more it will flex. Round supported rails are not terribly rigid, and often have some play in them.

1030 extrusion is pretty flimsy stuff. Most people that build extrusion based machines use larger extrusions.

In the end, it all comes down to what your expectations are. You can cut aluminum with a dremel and a flimsy MDF machine. So the question is, how fast and what depth of cut are you looking for? And what finish quality are you looking for.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I would strongly recomend not to use SBR round rails if you want to do some real work on your router. My experience is that if you are using SBR rails, you could as well build your router out of MDF, no need for expensive extrusions then. But thats just me, others are cutting aluminum on routers made from scrap wood, I guess its all about expectations and what tolerances you are happy about.

Go through build threads and just look at other builds, materials used and ask them about speeds and tolerances, you will get the picture.

Downloads
    Uploads

Terrific advice guys. I certainly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk