Meldas 520 AMR-adding 4:th axis. What's needed?

Thread: Meldas 520 AMR-adding 4:th axis. What's needed?

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Meldas 520 AMR-adding 4:th axis. What's needed?

Hi folks,

I recently bought a used VMC, (Feeler FV-800 produced in Sept. 1996), that will be checked, re-painted and ready for power-up in a few weeks time.

Later on I would like to fit it with a 4:th axis, since it is already prepared for that. What do I need to get? I am looking for a horisontal unit that can rotate during machining (not just indexing between machining sessions).

I think I need?:
    1. Servo Driver for the 4:th axis. Can you tell me Model name & No. please?
    2. CN1A - CN1B cable.
    3. 4:th axis horisontal unit with AC Servo motor and Encoder.
    Can you tell me Model name & No. please?
    4. Power Cable between Servo Driver and Servo AC motor.
    5. Encoder Cable between Servo Driver's CN2 port and Servo AC motor.

Anything more that I need?
    Any alternatives to this setup?

Anyone in Sweden or northern Europe that has a used setup to sell?

Regards,
    Peter

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm interested too when you find out :-D I was wondering if I could hook up a servo controller other than Mitsubishi. But if I have to run a Mits, that's fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The biggest issue you might have is the PLC. If the PLC hasn't already been written for a 4th axis you may have problems. Such as the clamp & unclamp, zero return, axis select, etc. You will also need room in the electrical cabinet for the additional servo amplifier. You might be able to change an existing servo amplifer with a dual axis drive. One which will run one of your current axises and the additional for the 4th axis.

Chippy

Downloads
    Uploads

HI,

First I should mention that my machine has a Mitsubishi Meldas 520 AMR control that is already prepared for 4 axis machining. The relays are already mounted and there is a place for the 4:th axis driver beside the other drivers .The only thing I need to do, after fitting the hardware, is remove "4th axis disable" in the PLC switch area. Another goodie on this machine is "Synchronized Tapping" (rigid tapping), which is a blessing to have. Lucky me, I guess.

I have been talking with a CNC technician that used to service a lot of those Feeler's back then, and he says that I should stay away from fitting "alien" driver and AC servo motor.

The hardware that is needed:
    1. Servo Driver for the 4:th axis. Mitsubishi model No. is in the machine manual.
    2. CN1A - CN1B cable. This is just a short bus cable between Z-axis and 4:th axis drivers.
    3. 4:th axis round table with Mitsubishi AC Servo motor and Encoder. Mitsubishi model No. is in the machine manual.
    4. Power Cable between Servo Driver and Servo AC motor. This must follow when you buy the used package.
    5. Encoder Cable between Servo Driver's CN2 port and Servo AC motor.This must follow when you buy the used package.

The best part is that I have a complete used 4:th axis setup in the pipeline. I will go and inspect & hopefully buy it after new year.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you have most everthing covered. Hoepfully the wires for sero return and clamping are marked for you also.

Good Luck

Chippy

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Chippy,

I will look out for those things on the "donor" machine. Will keep you posted when things have happened.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Meldas 520 AMR-adding 4:th axis. What's needed?

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Viking View Post
    HI,

First I should mention that my machine has a Mitsubishi Meldas 520 AMR control that is already prepared for 4 axis machining. The relays are already mounted and there is a place for the 4:th axis driver beside the other drivers .The only thing I need to do, after fitting the hardware, is remove "4th axis disable" in the PLC switch area. Another goodie on this machine is "Synchronized Tapping" (rigid tapping), which is a blessing to have. Lucky me, I guess.

I have been talking with a CNC technician that used to service a lot of those Feeler's back then, and he says that I should stay away from fitting "alien" driver and AC servo motor.

The hardware that is needed:
    1. Servo Driver for the 4:th axis. Mitsubishi model No. is in the machine manual.
    2. CN1A - CN1B cable. This is just a short bus cable between Z-axis and 4:th axis drivers.
    3. 4:th axis round table with Mitsubishi AC Servo motor and Encoder. Mitsubishi model No. is in the machine manual.
    4. Power Cable between Servo Driver and Servo AC motor. This must follow when you buy the used package.
    5. Encoder Cable between Servo Driver's CN2 port and Servo AC motor.This must follow when you buy the used package.

The best part is that I have a complete used 4:th axis setup in the pipeline. I will go and inspect & hopefully buy it after new year.
    Hi,
    I have a machine with Mitsubishi Meldas 520.
    My machine have 4 axis and i want to remove 4th axis.
    Can you helpe me?