FR-SE spindle drive trouble - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FR-SE spindle drive trouble

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the trick to checking the base IGBT's?? I have the manuals from Mitsubishi, and can't seem to get consistent readings when metering the transistors. The manuals list a chart of test points and the values you should get, but man, it's tricky to decipher...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FR-SE Drive

Well the saga continues...

I took the time last night to measure the voltages from the power supply. That was fun getting to the pins with my meter! Everything measured fine, according to the specs the voltage can vary 15% and nothing measured out of that range.
    All the Led's that are supposed to be on are and the ones that are supposed to be off are off.

I also looked to see what happened differently than the identical machine I have next to this one. All the same Led's light up with the same commands.

I did find no reference 10v from the cnc when a spindle speed was commanded,But If I use the manual start button there is a voltage signal.
    Regards,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FR-SE Drive base IGBT

Greg,
    I think the reason you get variable readings when measuring the transistors is that you could be charging the caps. I am pretty sure that as long as you don't get a reading lower than 50 ohms you are o.k.
    I find the manuals a bit hard to follow sometimes too.

Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Cutmore,

Had any luck on getting the FR-SE back in operation?

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

maybe this will help you out with the transistor checks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FR-SE spindle drive trouble-fr-sebasecheck-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Greg,
    No I have not had time to look at the drive yet.
    I bought an old tube oscilloscope for $20 2 weeks ago and I have not had time to do anything but make parts! Maybe if I get the plasma cutting, routing, and lathe work done by tomorrow I can look at it this weekend.

Isn't having your own business and a full time job great?!

Later,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FR-SE Drive trouble

Well I took the time this weekend to hook the scope up again and test the drive.

It seems the trouble is in the Inverter. When I tested the Ch45 to R131(lft side),and the Ch48 to R137(rt side) the trace is "fuzzy". The other test points seemed fine, and all of the converter traces seemed fine.

Does anyone know what parts this would indicate need replacement?

Thanks for any help,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Cutmore,

That's cool you were able to scope the SE-IO1 board and locate the bad firing circuits. I haven't bought a scope yet, but plan to soon, as I want to be able to scope these drives to help troubleshoot them.

The info I'm giving you is based on what Mits did to one of my SE-IO1 boards to repair it. First, Mits replaced all of the inverter and converter capacitors. This is standard procedure I assume, as capacitors are prone to go bad after a lot of years.

Then, only for the specific driving circuit found bad, Mits replaced the "hybrids", which are labled DK434, I believe. These are Mits specific transistor drivers, stand up off the board, have several legs soldered in, and are about 1 inch square.

The white ceramic resistors are original, thus not replaced. Mits also replaced the firing transistors, for the bad circuits only. The original C2939 or C4058 is not available anymore. Mits used a NTE2311 instead. You have to desolder the spider-leg heat sink to replace these.

I would recommend checking the related resistors and diodes to eliminate any problems there as well.

That's all I found they replaced. Thus, next time, I'm gonna be the wizard with a solder gun.

Good luck!

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FR SE DRIVE

Greg,
    I bought my scope for $20 from a guy who repairs tube radios and had no use for it. This scope has tubes in it and the entire chasis is made of copper. It is vintage 1951 with the original price tag of $199 still on it! I thought it was too cool not to buy even if it didn't work, But it does!

Thank you very much for that info. I spoke with a couple people on this and they told me the "Hybrids" are not available from Mitsubishi. I have not tried asking Mitsubishi but it probably is true. At least with your info I have some more things to try.

Thank you,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello
    i'm stephane from Nice(france)
    i have mazak QT15 with FR SE 2 22K A-C spindle drive

i have problems with SE-I01 card
    burn on CH50

have you value for DZ20 and D44 ? on CH50 line

"The original C2939 or C4058 is not available anymore. Mits used a NTE2311 instead."
    possible to use BUW13A

i have not found doc on www.meau.com
    help me
    thank for your help
    end sorry for my english

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FR SE link for troubleshooting

Hello Stephane,
    Try this link for the troubleshooting procedures from Mitsubishi.

http://www.meau.com/eprise/main/site...Type=&OEMType=

I do not have the value for ch50 sorry.
    "The original C2939 or C4058 is not available anymore. Mits used a NTE2311 instead."
    I called a company called Newark In one, and ordered the NTE 2311 for $18 each. They arrived 2 days later. I believe they would ship them to France no problem.

DZ20 and D20 are probably just diodes so they should read in 1 direction only.

Hope this helps,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello
    thank for answer
    it' ok for meau site just IE scripting disabled
    for DZ20 > zener diode 3.6V 1.3 W
    D44 > 1N4007
    for 2SC2939 or 2SC4058 equivalent BUW13A or NTE 2311
    i wait for components
    bye

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FR SE drive (almost fixed)

Well I had some time to work on the SEI01 board.
    I pulled it out and checked the 2 circuits that were "mis-firing" with my ohmmeter. By comparative measurements I found the Firing transitor for that circuit was bad so I replaced it. After replacing it the resistance reading is still lower than the other circuits making me believe the "Hybrid" also may be bad. I re-installed the whole drive in the vmc to test it. Now at least the spindle starts to spin without having to help it but it still shows a higher reading on the load meter than my other identical vmc. I put the whole drive from the other vmc in this machine the other day, and it worked correctly. At least I know it is only the drive. I tried to get one of the hybrids from Mitsubishi and they only sell them to their service centers.

Any one know where I could get one of the Hybrids?

Regards,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello
    some news
    i have repair my SEIO1 cards
    and all is ok now

3 DK434 was dead with transistor(c2939)
    ch50 an 53 (phase R)>converter
    and (why ?) ch49 >inverter

for test ch44 to 55
    put your ohmmeter to 20 K ohm calibration
    and test each ch
    look on BNP-A7237-35A.pdf page 14 for test point
    you must have Immediatly 2.17 Kohm +-0.3
    if lower or upper or In load>> change DK 434
    and re check with ohmmeter

to make a good job
    change DK434
    c2939 or 4058 with BUW13A or equivalent
    resistor 100 ohm 1/2 watts
    diode like D44 by 1N4007

I do not have DK434 anymore
    but i search it for the future ....
    If I find it I say it to you

regards
    stephane

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

stephane,
    thank you for the test information. I will check that tonight when I get home.

I am glad you were able to fix your drive. Hopefully you will be able to use your machine to earn back the money it cost to fix it!

Regards,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FR-SE Lives Again!

I want to give a big thank you to all who have helped in my quest to revive my Drive!

I have replaced the U channel base transistor, the diodes D44, Resistors(100 ohm), 1 transistor C2939, and the final culprit was the DK434 Hybrid.

Last friday I received the new Hybrid. So of coarse all work stopped for the night. Un-soldered the old burnt DK434,(LOTS OF FUN!) Then installed the new Hybrid which did not look exactly like the old one but hey, who am I to argue. So while the solder is still smoking I whip out the multimeter and voilla! I now have 2.16K ohms just like all the other channels. O.K. the moment of truth, Re-install the SE-IO1 card, power up the VMC, press spindle start.... The spindle starts now and will orient!

Thank you all for your help,
    Cutmore

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cutmore,
    glad you got it going and posted all the info here to help others.It`s been a very interesting thread this.

Mark.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

/lknh/lh;.kjbh.kjb.khb
    Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    Cutmore,
    glad you got it going and posted all the info here to help others.It`s been a very interesting thread this.

Mark.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

/lknh/lh;.kjbh.kjb.khb

What does that lot mean?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gridley51,
    I just hope the thread will help someone else, if they have the same trouble with one of these drives.

It has been a learning experience and has helped me understand the deeper parts of my machine.

Always a good thing when trying to make a living with a piece of machinery, especially when they get quirky on a sunday!

Thanks,
    Cutmore

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast