Need Help! English EPROM dump for Mazatrol CAM T2 on a Mazak QT15

Thread: English EPROM dump for Mazatrol CAM T2 on a Mazak QT15

Default English EPROM dump for Mazatrol CAM T2 on a Mazak QT15

Dear Mazakers,
    I recently bought a Mazak QT15 with a Mazatrol CAM T-2 control but the language is in French. According to various posts, there are two eprom chips that need to be flashed on the FX884A board (and perhaps others?) to change the language into English. Does anyone here have the English rom dumps for this board? If not, is anyone here able to procure them or inform me how I might obtain them? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions in this regard.

Raz

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails English EPROM dump for Mazatrol CAM T2 on a Mazak QT15-fx884a-2-jpg   English EPROM dump for Mazatrol CAM T2 on a Mazak QT15-img_20220519_124048-1-large-jpg   English EPROM dump for Mazatrol CAM T2 on a Mazak QT15-2022-05-19-jpeg  

Default Re: English EPROM dump for Mazatrol CAM T2 on a Mazak QT15

I wasn't able to obtain any eprom dumps for English (or any other language for that matter), so I decided to translate the French eprom dumps myself. There are some videos about dumping and burning eproms for Mazak machines (though they're all mostly the same) (https://www.cnczone.com/f...eproms.330060/ Read more at https://www.cnczone.com/f...zatrol.327009/). A problem was that there were two eprom chips for the language and they were split bitwise, meaning that the odd and even bits were split into two files as opposed to splitting the file in half (as mentioned by benganboll at https://www.cnczone.com/f...nguage.370284/). Because of this, making changes to the text gets very hard. To solve the problem, I found an interesting app called Eprom Hexxer (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1459565) that can merge the two files so the text is readable. I'm using Winmerge (https://winmerge.org) to translate the file while comparing it with the original. I'm trying not to add any characters (only change them) to minimize the possibility of errors when flashing the translated files back onto the eprom. Before flashing, the file should be split bitwise using Eprom Hexxer, of course. I haven't finished the translation but I'll update the thread to explain the results when I do. In the meantime, if anyone can send me the eprom dumps for an English T2 control or can dump them for me, I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like a VERY old PCB and a very old design method.. I am not sure whether the EPROM chips used on it are even still available!
    I guess you could erase and reprogram the existing ones. That seems a bit . . . precipitous!
    Good Luck.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, you can pretty much buy anything on eBay. Baring that, you can often get compatible pinouts, but the burning voltages might be different. Sourcing the chips would not be my #1 concern.

Unfortunately, Raz, I cannot help you... I do make a digital HEX backup of pretty much everything that comes into my garage or across my desk, but Mazak isn't one of those. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to help people out with EPROMs. That isn't to say it is a gazillion times, but it definitely has been something that has happened numerous times, and it is very satisfying to all involved when I have the appropriate files. I, for one, hate to see old iron get trashed because of something as simple as a bad EPROM.

Best of luck with your search....

Thanks for the replies. I'm worried about reprogramming the existing eproms since there is a possibility that something will go wrong with the chip, and then I'd have nothing to work with. I've put the translation on hold for now since the machine seems to be having a problem with the coordinate system. It's trying to cut the workpiece from the door-side of the machine instead of the rear-side. It might be a parameter issue. I've tried re-initializing and re-entering the parameters but that didn't fix the problem. In the meantime, I think the French is growing on me...

Downloads
    Uploads

c'est bon.

I would absolutely source a new set of EPROMs. Everything, even ancient EPROMs, can be purchased if you search around a bit.... Maybe you can give us a good picture of the chip.

Downloads
    Uploads

trying to cut the workpiece from the door-side of the machine instead of the rear-side
    Sounds as though the Y axis has been reversed? That could be either a SW or a HW 'problem', but easy to fix.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I am guessing more SW than HW. If the leads on a DC servo were reversed, for instance, that would result in a runaway situation that would get ugly really really really fast.

I fixed it. It was a parameter problem, the same mentioned in a post on PMist (apparently I can't post urls from that site but if you Google t2-qt-15-op-parameters.299483 you'll find it) with the same solution (zeroing parameters using a computer).

In my second post in this thread, some of the links don't work since PMist was switched to "cnczone". If you just switch it back to the actual website name, the urls should work.

Confused X-Axis Problem and Solution:
    The x-axis was not reversed all the time (or whatever the problem was). It would try to cut from the wrong side for some operations but not all. For example, when I added another tool for finishing, for that process, the turret would try to go through workpiece to cut from the other side. Even though the control was reinitialized several times, some parameters still had asterisks in them or could not be edited. I had tried to zero the parameters using a computer, but the first time I tried, it fried my PC mainboard so I was hesitant about trying it again. Eventually, I decided to try it again with a different PC and 25-pin to 9-pin cable. I performed the procedure and it went great. It zeroed all parameters, so I didn't have to zero any parameters by hand (the ones that had to be zero, especially the ones that could not be edited for some reason such as M20 and some others in the same column). After entering all other parameters, the machine now works perfectly.

As for the eprom, I don't actually live in the US and sourcing the chips might be a bit hard or too expensive to be worth it for now. However, if and when I finish the translation and test that it works, I'll post the eprom dumps here so others with non-English controls (who want English) might benefit. In the meantime, if anyone obtains the rom dumps, it would be great if they could post them here.

I've uploaded the parameter blanking procedure I used in case anyone needs or wants it. I did it on Windows XP using a 25-pin to 9-pin cable.
    Thanks to everyone for their posts.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by razielaka; 06-07-2022 at 05:00 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you say that you fried your PC main board, that can be a little ambiguous in CNC land. Mitsubishi sometimes calls the NC control a PC. I assume you do not mean that, but the actual Personal Computer, right? If so, do you know what happened? If you are using HyperTerminal, I'm assuming this is all just RS232 based. I can't understand how changing parameters in the control would feedback in a way that damage the personal computer through RS232.

But... good news on fixing the machine, and thank you for attaching processes, etc. I don't own the machine, but I always appreciate it when I can find information for machines I do own.

Dear Sir.
    Nice too meet you!
    I am Thuong from Viet Nam.

I also have Mazak Quick turn 8 with Magatrol cam T2 controller.
    Unfortunately, my machine was lost all documents that related to.
    So, did you have the maintenance manual of magatrol cam T2, please, share with me.

Thank you so much for your help.
    thuong.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMetric View Post
    When you say that you fried your PC main board, that can be a little ambiguous in CNC land. Mitsubishi sometimes calls the NC control a PC. I assume you do not mean that, but the actual Personal Computer, right? If so, do you know what happened? If you are using HyperTerminal, I'm assuming this is all just RS232 based. I can't understand how changing parameters in the control would feedback in a way that damage the personal computer through RS232.

But... good news on fixing the machine, and thank you for attaching processes, etc. I don't own the machine, but I always appreciate it when I can find information for machines I do own.

My personal computer crashed right after I connected it to the fx board and turned on the cnc machine. Before everything went down, HyperTerminal showed a few strange characters. After that, it just wouldn't start. I suspect it might have been a problem with the cable I used. Or it could have just been a fluke and the computer was already dying. I don't dare test the cable again, and the problem is solved anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 9xpro02 View Post
    Dear Sir.
    Nice too meet you!
    I am Thuong from Viet Nam.

I also have Mazak Quick turn 8 with Magatrol cam T2 controller.
    Unfortunately, my machine was lost all documents that related to.
    So, did you have the maintenance manual of magatrol cam T2, please, share with me.

thuong.
    You can Google "mazak-documentation-for-a-1986-qt10n-cam-t2.328546" and scroll down to benganboll's posts. He's been kind enough to post a lot of T2 documentation there. Make sure to scroll all the way down since you might not see all the pdf links otherwise.

Dear Bro.
    Your informations very useful.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by razielaka View Post
    ..... If not, is anyone here able to procure them or inform me how I might obtain them? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions in this regard.
    Hello. Are you still looking for english roms? PM me.

razielaka:
    Hi. Have some trouble whith PM. I see your messages but can`t reply. PM your mail, will send.

Last edited by zosik; 03-29-2023 at 02:01 PM.