Mazak VTC-41 basic questions

Thread: Mazak VTC-41 basic questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mazak VTC-41 basic questions

I have a Mazak VTC-41 with a Yasnac MX3 control. I just got it powered up and dripped a simple program. It appears to work but this control is very different from my Fanuc controls. I have some questions. Maybe someone can clarify a few things.

1) When sending a program in TAPE mode the PROG screen remains blank. Is there a way to show the blocks as they are executed?

2) When using work offsets G54-G59 the POS screen doesn't show the coordinates relative to the G54-G59 origin, but rather the machine origin. The program runs correctly. How can I display the current position?

3) When using the MEASUREMENT button. The measured length is clearing relative to starting position and not the machine origin. Do I have to return Z axis to machine home prior to measuring?

I suspect a LOT of these issues are related to setting axis origin. POS->F2->XYZ->ORG. Maybe someone can help me wrap my head around how I should be using axis origin and work shift (G54-G59)?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mazak VTC-41 basic questions

I can send programs flawlessly using TAPE. I set MODE SELECT to TAPE. Press CYCLE START, and I can send the program without issue. Over and over, no problem. But if I attempt to load a program into memory using TAPE/EDIT nothing happens when pressing IN. No flashing LSK. OUT doesn't appear to work either but it does flash OUT 4 times. Memory key lock is set for Rel.

I'm using:
    MODE switch to TAPE/EDIT
    Press PROG button
    Press RESET
    Type in program number (I've tried O1001 and 1001, same results)
    Press IN

Any ideas? It's as as if the IN button is disabled someplace. I'm sure I'm simply missing something simple.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mazak VTC-41 basic questions

I have the IN/OUT issue sorted. I must have changed something in the serial parameters when I installed the Calmotion USBCNC-INT DNC. Fortunately I had dumped all the settings prior to moving the machine and I was able to go back to a known working configuration. I then incrementally worked my way up from there. I now have it running at 4800 baud without issues. 9600 baud was giving me overruns on TAPE/EDIT despite working fine on TAPE. Odd. It's still twice as fast as the 2400 baud I was using with the PC based DNC.

It should be worth noting I was able power the Calmotion unit directly from the serial DB25 using the Fanuc style cable supplied from Calmotion. I clipped the RJ45 connector off the cable and pulled it through the existing flex conduit. I then re-made the end and it worked. Figured I'd upload a couple photos if anyone is interested in doing the same.

I'm still working on my questions from my first post if anyone is familiar with these controls.

Mazak VTC-41 basic questions-img_6242-jpg
    Mazak VTC-41 basic questions-img_6243-jpg