Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed

Thread: Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed

Hi All,

I have been helping my friend at his work and the above CNC machine developed a fault today, and as i have repaired a few 8-bit computers and CRT screens in the past i thought i might be able to find a solution to this.

The screen started showing garbled text, at first it lost some letters from the bottom bar, which shows position, coolant, tool data and stuff like that for the buttons under the screen, then it started showing the X and Z positions as the machine was in operation, showing the numbers but all odd, and missing sometimes.

I can only immagine this is a video board/Video memory chip going bad, I have both the FX702 (video) and FX701 (processor) boards here next to me, in the hope that i can find a cracked/dry solder joint on one of the chips, i can also see signs of flux on the back of the board where it looks like someone has replaced a chip or 2 in its life time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the replacement second hand board he has ordered will be here either this week or next, but these boards have to be back in the machine tomorrow, im hoping a re-flow of some of the solder joints might help but its a long shot.

I have provided pictures of the issue so you can see what i mean.

Thank you all - Joe

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed-img20220404163417-jpg   Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed-img20220404164238-jpg   Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed-img20220404164248-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed

I would also guess a memory chip or a bad buffer, output enable select, or similar. In the end, you are probably looking for something that doesn't change state, but this might be a pain to find. If the chips are not socketed, that will only make things more difficult.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There,

Thanks for the reply, Yes unfortunately most of the memory chips are not socketed, only the ones makred in red on the picture below.
    I dont have a logic probe only a multi meter which doesent help, not that a logic probe would help because of how the board is positioned in the machine.

I think i have done all i can do, tested every capacitor and resistor on the board, all were correct as i expected because it is outputting something, most of which is correct, other than when it has to update the screen fast, like the X and Z positions.

when you press the buttons under the screen and its got to update the screen information, sometimes it all goes from the bottom, if you press the coolant on off button, you will get a few letters marked in pink like oo or ol from coolant, then you press program and it all goes again.

Hopefully the second hand board will fix it, if not do you or anyone on this forum have a FX702 board at all?

Thanks - Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed-img20220405061816-jpg   Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed-img20220404191832-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Joecnchelp View Post
    Hi There,

Thanks for the reply, Yes unfortunately most of the memory chips are not socketed, only the ones makred in red on the picture below.
    I dont have a logic probe only a multi meter which doesent help, not that a logic probe would help because of how the board is positioned in the machine.

I think i have done all i can do, tested every capacitor and resistor on the board, all were correct as i expected because it is outputting something, most of which is correct, other than when it has to update the screen fast, like the X and Z positions.

when you press the buttons under the screen and its got to update the screen information, sometimes it all goes from the bottom, if you press the coolant on off button, you will get a few letters marked in pink like oo or ol from coolant, then you press program and it all goes again.

Hopefully the second hand board will fix it, if not do you or anyone on this forum have a FX702 board at all?

Thanks - Joe
    The board is back in the machine and is mildly better the load is updating the number now but the bottom bar was only a few characters and is slowly dissapearing again, hopefully the second hand board will fix it

Thanks joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrMetric View Post
    I would also guess a memory chip or a bad buffer, output enable select, or similar. In the end, you are probably looking for something that doesn't change state, but this might be a pain to find. If the chips are not socketed, that will only make things more difficult.
    After leaving it on all morning it's got slowly worse and worse until there was hardly anything on the screen, I turned the machine off took the video board out to somehwt discharge it, put it back in and most of the display came back except the lower writing, after 10 more minutes it's like this, so hopefully the replacement board will fix the issue

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed-img20220405112446-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Joecnchelp View Post
    After leaving it on all morning it's got slowly worse and worse until there was hardly anything on the screen, I turned the machine off took the video board out to somehwt discharge it, put it back in and most of the display came back except the lower writing, after 10 more minutes it's like this, so hopefully the replacement board will fix the issue
    The second hand board fixed it right away, I've re frames and brightened and focused the CRT and it looks brand new

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mazak Quickturn 8 Mazatrol Cam T2 Urgent Help Needed-img20220405133507-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The picture of the board never came through so I don't know how complicated a board it is... But I would not get rid of the old board. It might come in useful in the future. Honestly, a logic analyzer might be the most useful for this particular use case, but it would take som ferreting around as well as a knowledge on how a computer system is designed. But you could use the analyzer to check that the buffers are passing the data through correctly. If the issue is with a RAM chip, that could be more challenging because you'd likely need to have to write and then read the memory.... Fundamentally, there are multiple areas where the board could fail, and there isn't a one size fits all test to figuring out which one. If you managed to solve the issue by just replacing the board, you are ahead of the game! :-)

If the board is really dirty, you can try washing it *carefully* with something like Simple Green. CNC machines live in horribly dirty environments, and the boards can get caked with all sorts of nasty oil/dust crud. Rinse the board throughly and then blow it off (I'm assuming there are no pots or other components into which the water can enter). Let it dry for a while too..... You've also identified that electrolytic capacitors can dry out and no longer be effective. Most bypass capacitors are tantalum or ceramic and have more tolerance, but you will likely find at least a few electrolytic cap on the board. Replacing those could help.

All of this is said without warranty, of course. You might totally mess up your machine so pursue whatever course you choose at your own risk. Standard disclaimer stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrMetric View Post
    The picture of the board never came through so I don't know how complicated a board it is... But I would not get rid of the old board. It might come in useful in the future. Honestly, a logic analyzer might be the most useful for this particular use case, but it would take som ferreting around as well as a knowledge on how a computer system is designed. But you could use the analyzer to check that the buffers are passing the data through correctly. If the issue is with a RAM chip, that could be more challenging because you'd likely need to have to write and then read the memory.... Fundamentally, there are multiple areas where the board could fail, and there isn't a one size fits all test to figuring out which one. If you managed to solve the issue by just replacing the board, you are ahead of the game! :-)

If the board is really dirty, you can try washing it *carefully* with something like Simple Green. CNC machines live in horribly dirty environments, and the boards can get caked with all sorts of nasty oil/dust crud. Rinse the board throughly and then blow it off (I'm assuming there are no pots or other components into which the water can enter). Let it dry for a while too..... You've also identified that electrolytic capacitors can dry out and no longer be effective. Most bypass capacitors are tantalum or ceramic and have more tolerance, but you will likely find at least a few electrolytic cap on the board. Replacing those could help.

All of this is said without warranty, of course. You might totally mess up your machine so pursue whatever course you choose at your own risk. Standard disclaimer stuff.
    Hi there, yes i will be keeping the board and taking it home with me, keep it as a spare and try and find the chip that's bad, there are no electrolytic capacitors on the board luckily so I will try and find a way of testing each chip if I can

Thank you all for your help

Downloads
    Uploads

I couldn't read any of the chip number on the few pictures I found of the board, but there appears to be a socketed EPROM and NEC7220 video processor. It is easy enough to try to replace those (or at least reseat them). I doubt the video processor is bad, but the EPROM could be a different story. These are old machines and EPROMs of this vintage are rated for 10 to 20 years of data retention. You get where I'm going with this..... If the states of the EPROM bits have degraded, this could cause havoc on your system. This is a time bomb that exists in a ton of our early systems. I am actually a nut when it comes to EPROMs. Because I'm using these ancient machines in my hobby machine shop, I have limited budgets for repairs (even if they are available due to the fact that most of the companies are either defunct or don't support the machines anymore). As such, I almost always remove the EPROMs and copy them so that I have a digital version that gets backed up on different computers. In essence, I am building a library of EPROM images. And, yes, I've had to burn some chips for people that have run into dead EPROMs. It can, and does, happen. The EPROM is a bit of a ticking time bomb.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There,

Yes, the video processor, the EPROM, another chip (which on the old board had a different number to the new one which was on a holographed sticker) and 2 other chips were socketed on the old board, but the new board, only the video processor and EPROM were socketed.

Also, the arrows on the bottom of the screen show up now, which according to the boss have never been there, hence why they were drawn on the machine in marker, after re framing the CRT (as the picture was dropping off to the bottom right) and re focusing and just touching the brightness up a little without loosing convergence, it looks like new, he said that screen has never looked like that ever, which is great becuase before it was dull, fuzzy and hard to read.

Seeing as i have the board here, im more than happy to take some pictures of some chips, order what we think is needed and solder them onto the board, and when the machine is down and not being used, i can try the old board again to see if it is fixed.

Some before and after pictures

Thank you all for your help

Dear Sir.
    Nice too meet you.
    I also have the Quickturn 8 machine with mazatrol cam T2 system.
    But, unfortunately I no have any the document that related to.

Can you share with me your document if you have.

I am very grateful fofr your help.

Thanks and Best Regards.