Need Help! Mazak QT8 CAM T2 CRT not lit

Thread: Mazak QT8 CAM T2 CRT not lit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mazak QT8 CAM T2 CRT not lit

This is a new to me machine and was recently installed and working. I started the machine and took photos of the parameter screens, including the hidden parameters. I left the machine for a few minutes, still with the parameters on the screen. When I returned, the CRT was blank, and it looked like it was off. I restarted the machine several times, but the CRT is still dark. The ready light is on. The machine will home and you can change tools with the button. The 100V on the plug on the side of the control is good, but around 97VAC. I looked in the troubleshooting section of the manual, but there is nothing about the screen. Any help would be most appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mazak QT8 CAM T2 CRT not lit

OK, on further investigation, the DC voltages in the back are all good. There is a 100VAC plug in the back that is also good. I opened the front panel to expose the back of the keyboad and it all looks ok. If this were an old TV, I'd suspect the high voltage to the CRT.

Downloads
    Uploads

Followup: I have determined the monitor is bad. I am going to attempt retrofitting an LCD computer monitor. Wish me luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am about to embark on the same project with a 10N that is coming into the shop tomorrow.

Something to keep in mind when you are researching the LCD display upgrade is the sync-rate frequencies. I'm not a Mazak guy, but I have experience working on Fanuc.
    These old machines used different scan frequencies than the modern stuff. You may have to use some kind of a scan-converter. There are several available through the arcade videogame market that will work with certain formats. That will allow you to use a standard VGA type display. Some machines like my old Fanuc 11M are too old and have strange frequencies that require specialty converters.

If you find out anything, I'd love to hear what you come up with. I would be interested in the same upgrade for the machine I purchased.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a lot of research yesterday and came up with the same conclusion. I bought this to try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I also found and older post with the Mazak pinout that uses RGBHV signals that this board can convert.
    There are lots of videos online about the use of this board on coin operated video games, but I didn't find much on CNC machines except with much more expensive methods.
    I'll post the results.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought that same board to try on my Fanuc 11M a few years back.
    It could not scan-convert the Fanuc monochrome CRT signal, but hopefully it will work on the Mazak.

Do you mind sharing a link to the pin-out thread? My Mazak 10N is coming in today, I have that board and a big LCD sitting on the shelf. I'd love to try the same setup that you're working on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also, is there any chance I could get a copy of your wiring diagram for the machine? I imagine there isn't much difference between the 8N and the 10N with the T2 CAM control... All my machine is coming with is the parameters list and ladder.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is where I got the pinout:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...983-mazak.html
    The wiring is a decent sized book. When I get time I'll see how much trouble it will be to copy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent, thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I ordered one of the GBS8200 boards from eBay and then I found the one on Amazon with 2 day shipping. The first one arrived today. I wired it up and the LCD monitor is seeing the board, but so far I haven't been able to get it to sync. I played with all the buttons and the best I got was slanted lines that you could see colors and maybe read some text, but it was jumping all over the place.
    Out of the package, the menus are in Chinese. The number 4 line will allow you to change to English. There are 4 menu options:
    1 Picture
    2 Geometry
    3 Display
    4 Language
    Picture takes you to a sub menu with balance controls for brightness, etc.
    Geometry has no effect on my board.
    Display gives a choice of resolution.
    I am off to watch more YouTube videos to try to figure this out, but right now it looks like a bust. Maybe when my second board arrives, it will be different.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well it seems the cheapest solution won't work. These cards have a minimum scan rate of 15KHZ and the Mazak seems to be slower. It worked just enough to tantalize me, but it looks like all the signals are there.

The next price jump is to close to $200, but those converters specify they will work on old cnc machines. I ordered this one: MVC007 RGB,MDA,CGA,EGA to VGA Converter | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ron, that sounds exactly like my results with the same type of board on my Fanuc 11M control.

I have a feeling a savvy guy could program an FPGA to do this conversion, but the time to do it makes that $200 seem reasonable. Especially when you check out the cost of an old CRT.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cwtoyota View Post
    Ron, that sounds exactly like my results with the same type of board on my Fanuc 11M control.

I have a feeling a savvy guy could program an FPGA to do this conversion, but the time to do it makes that $200 seem reasonable. Especially when you check out the cost of an old CRT.
    I am not that savvy. Maybe if it was an Arduino, but I know zip about FPGAs.

My converter box arrived today. The seller was quick to resolve my minor issues with tracking and documentation. I wired the 6 wires (RGBHV and ground) and fired it up. The box auto-detected most everything, leaving me to adjust size and position on the screen. The menu was in English and the documentation was as well. Pretty easy to understand and install. The hardest part was identifying the wires coming from the Mazak. The monitor I used for the test is too large for the cabinet, so I have to find a smaller monitor or surface mount this one. I think a 15" monitor will be about right and might even fit inside the cabinet, although I may have to strip it down to fit. And while not super cheap, this works and is better than shelling out a grand or two for turn key solutions. YMMV, I am not making a living with this machine.
    Mazak QT8 CAM T2 CRT not lit-img_20161214_185942-jpgMazak QT8 CAM T2 CRT not lit-img_20161214_185950-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a write up with more detail and photos:
    Mazak QT8 CRT replacement with LCD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Thompson View Post
    I did a write up with more detail and photos:
    Mazak QT8 CRT replacement with LCD
    GBS8200 has no sync. MVC007 has sync for mazak.

Do you try other video converter?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wei-ya-...4AAOSwXeJXfW2e

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chchtono View Post
    GBS8200 has no sync. MVC007 has sync for mazak.

Do you try other video converter?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wei-ya-...4AAOSwXeJXfW2e
    No I didn't try that. I don't remember seeing it at the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update GBS8200 for CNC Machine CRT Monitor Replacement

Hi, all

GBS8200=GBS8219
    frequency of 15 ~ 110 kHz horizontal
    Replacing the Crt Monitors
    Tested on controls :
    Fanuc Siemens Phillips Mazatorol Hitachi Mitsubishi heidenhain

See the link below.

https://oldbrowser.files.fm/u/j63jqf4v

file with the software you need. Run the steps in sequence.

http://www.phantom.sannata.ru/forum/...ew&o=&st=0