Need help on how to better machine relieved surface (old X2 version)

Thread: Need help on how to better machine relieved surface (old X2 version)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help on how to better machine relieved surface (old X2 version)

Not always but enough to be a pain, I end up with parts that have 2 z-heights within a contour. Like a link with a raised boss on one end that matches the contour on 3 of the 4 sides and the remaining side is the one that goes off towards the other end of the link and that surface is lower than the boss
    Normally I'll run the contour on the outside of the part then deal with the relieved surface
    I can't use facing to clear off the relieved surface or it cuts into the boss on that area
    If I use pocket with island (which I normally end up doing) it leaves a thin wall around the outer contour of the part which sometimes breaks off and I'm worried might get wrapped around the cutter or something
    I'm looking for some way to have it use the surfacing type tool-path where it will go over the edges and at the same time NOT go over the edges that define the raised boss

Here's a typical example, the surface in white is what I'm referring to
    Need help on how to better machine relieved surface (old X2 version)-surfacing-jpg

Just looking for the forest through the trees.
    Keep in mind I'm using an old version of MC (x2) so there might be some new tool path out there that I don't have

Thanks for any ideas

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help on how to better machine relieved surface (old X2 version)

Adaptive clearing on the white section would prob be best.
    That's what I use if I have a raised ridge that needs leaving.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help on how to better machine relieved surface (old X2 version)

I don't think that's an option on my version. I'm drawing an extra profile around the lower part that comes off where the boss meets the outside contour now and using pocket and then a contour to clean up the shoulder but it's another step in the process I'd like to be able to skip if I could
    Thanks for the suggestion
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    I don't think that's an option on my version. I'm drawing an extra profile around the lower part that comes off where the boss meets the outside contour now and using pocket and then a contour to clean up the shoulder but it's another step in the process I'd like to be able to skip if I could
    Thanks for the suggestion
    M
    Did u try using open pocket ? Or y not just draw the toolpath that u want the tool to take

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm more or less drawing the path now by adding some lines that run off of the proper shoulder and go around the outside of the part enough to ensure the cutter clears off everything, it's just a bit of a pain to add each time (1st world machinist problem)
    I'll look again at the open pocket but honestly it usually doesn't seem to work each time I try to use it but maybe it's time to revisit it and see exactly why
    Thanks for the reply
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

You still on this....

You are best to just contour, create new geometry up the centre area for a tool to have no offset ( tool cuts on centre, you create/adjust the geometry that is to form the path, no lead in/out), AND, then contour the un-machined raised area with comp active

Downloads
    Uploads

Those parts are long gone but it's just that "type" of situation seems to come up more often than not and I've always done it one way or another type of thing. The center line contour might work for skinny part like these, I'll have to keep that in mind
    Thanks
    M