Some real basic (stupid) questions about Mastercam issues

Thread: Some real basic (stupid) questions about Mastercam issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Some real basic (stupid) questions about Mastercam issues

Hello,

I am struggling through tutorials and experiments but have a few real basic questions.
    Maybe someone here has the answers?

1) When I use the Wireframe Tab and create a rectangle with that: Why then can I not extrude this rectangle? It is always "Thickening operation failed"

2) If I create a solid block with the block option and then try and do a profile along it's side, I cannot get it to do any 2D contour depth cuts or anything as the edges are not selectable. But If I select the whole side surface, the routing path does not work as expected and want to start at the bottom and work upwards, in effect crashing the tool.

3) If I import a .step file from Solidworks, with a part in it, none of the part seems to be recognised as "toolpathable". Whilst I can select the edges and stuff, it just does seem to want to do anything useful with them. How do I convert a step file into something usable in Mastercam?

So far, the only thing that I can get to work is if I draw the rectangle from separate splines. It can then be extruded, cut etc.

Regards
    Bernt

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Some real basic (stupid) questions about Mastercam issues

What version of Mastercam are you using?

(I am struggling through tutorials) were are getting these tutorials from a book or online videos?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    What version of Mastercam are you using?

(I am struggling through tutorials) were are getting these tutorials from a book or online videos?
    I used videos and some pdfs.
    It still does not work any better.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Some real basic (stupid) questions about Mastercam issues

Ok so an older MC but a good one.You used training videos from were. were they showing properly how to use the tools. Sounds like not.

Now if you create a rectangle from the top plane and then go into Solids and do extrude and give it only a positive value based on the arrow direction you should get a result.

As for the contour issues are you sure it is a solid and not a surface model? and are you trying to use wire selection as it is the default in that version instead of solid selection?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .