Retract to reference point

Thread: Retract to reference point

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Retract to reference point

Hi,

Could anybody tell me how I can get a tool to retract to a clearance position before moving to the tool change position.

For example if I turn a 50mm Diameter I want the tool to move clear in X and then clear in Z, like

G0 X52.
    Z3.
    X50. Z150.

I've tried setting a reference point in the machine definition but this has no effect on the posted code.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you have to use a generic move. Just insert a rapid move to the point you want.

This is how I do it in EdgeCAM. I usually just pick a point with the mouse.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have to set the "Ref point" in each operation that you want the tool to be at either approaching, retracting, or both

The tool will start it's approach from the end of the last operation, not necessarily the tool change.

it is overcome by making sure the ref points chosen are betweem the machining area and the turret index position

OD turning or facing would be larger X than the turning stock, similarly ID turning would be to making sure the tool retract is only in the Z-axis, say Z10 absolute ( if the front face is Z0 )
    the tool is outside the part it is not going to hit when going home

( my only suggestion would be to break up the retraction to the index position to going X-home & then going Z-home on seperate lines, that way, you only need to concentrate on getting any & all internal ops to be correct. )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Superman that's exactly what I was after, I don't know how I missed that greyed out ref points box, I must have clicked on just about everything else!

One more question, do you or anyone else know what the post variable is for the inner dimension of the stock. I can post all the other stock dimensions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Retract to reference point

Thanks for that! I hunted around and finally found it on the Toolpath parameters page in the lower right corner.
    Retract to reference point-refpoint-png