Mastercam suing Surfcam?

Thread: Mastercam suing Surfcam?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, here's another one with the full complaint, not just the first page. It suggests that Surfware was going after OptiRough. I guess Mastercam jumped first.

CNC Software v. Surfware, Inc. - DJ complaint

Downloads
    Uploads

for some reasons I always thought that mastercam was a step behind to surfcam... specially with tool/die/molding shops,
    thats why some of the companies that I know migrated to Surfcam instead of updating mastercam.

I always thought.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PRINT_FX View Post

for some reasons I always thought that mastercam was a step behind to surfcam... specially with tool/die/molding shops,
    thats why some of the companies that I know migrated to Surfcam instead of updating mastercam.

I always thought.
    It looks to me that Mastercam is being accused of copying toolpaths from Surfcam. And is just trying to get them off their back.

Big company copies a small companies product and then just drains them in court. It's the American way.

If they lose they will have to stop using Optirough? I wonder if maintenance customers will get a refund for X5?

I'm cheering for the underdog of course...

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Though John, I think if MC were the underdog, you would not be.

The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJW View Post
    It looks to me that Mastercam is being accused of copying toolpaths from Surfcam. And is just trying to get them off their back.

Big company copies a small companies product and then just drains them in court. It's the American way.

If they lose they will have to stop using Optirough? I wonder if maintenance customers will get a refund for X5?

I'm cheering for the underdog of course...

John
    It's the American way.

lol

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    Though John, I think if MC were the underdog, you would not be.
    Go Surfcam....

John

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tcollins413 View Post
    What's this about? Looks like a patent fight.

CNC Software Inc v. Surfware, Inc. patent lawsuit
    Seems Mastercam thinks it came up with all these toolpaths on thier own...

David Conigliaro CNC Software Inc.

Dynamic Technology
    Dynamic technology is absolutely home grown in the U.S.A. at CNC Software Inc. in Tolland, Connecticut. It is our technology and ours alone. The technology is based on our own unique approach to this type of machining. Dynamic technology did not copy any other systems as speculated in this thread. Dynamic technology was being worked on way, way before X4 was even thought about or considered. Dynamic Technology will continue to evolve, mature, improve and spawn new toolpaths in releases to come…

John

Downloads
    Uploads

The odd thing is the "611" patent looks like a different technology than Opti-Rough. OR is much like the constant tool engagement angle algorithms in TrueMill, Volumill, or the so-called Adaptive Clearing algorithms. Yet "611" looks completely different:

"Most efficient" CNC technique earns U.S. patent | Machine Design

Interestingly, Mastercam is going for a "prior art" claim, meaning the believe Surfware shouldn't have been able to patent the toolpath because others were already doing it in the public domain. There is some credence to that, but it is expensive to win one of those in court. If they did succeed in overturning the tool engagement angle patent (as opposed to this "611"), that would be a real setback for Surfware, but probably good news for the overall CAM industry as everyone would be free to include that type of toolpath.

From that standpoint, if you want to root for the underdog, root for Mastercam.

Cheers,

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Surfware likes suing. Surfware sued the VoluMill people and got them to pay up big. They threatened to sue cnc software so cnc software got proactive and sued them. As soon as iMachining comes out Solidcam will probably get sued.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krammer View Post
    Surfware likes suing. Surfware sued the VoluMill people and got them to pay up big. They threatened to sue cnc software so cnc software got proactive and sued them. As soon as iMachining comes out Solidcam will probably get sued.
    Says who? If they were trying to put the VoluMill guys out of business, they seem to have failed, as the VoluMill website says they're in a whole bunch of systems now.

As far as iMachining goes, that stuff's been out more than a year.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tcollins413 View Post
    Says who? If they were trying to put the VoluMill guys out of business, they seem to have failed, as the VoluMill website says they're in a whole bunch of systems now.

As far as iMachining goes, that stuff's been out more than a year.

Surfware sued Celeritive dvelopers of VoluMill. Surfware won. Celeritive pays Surfware a fee every month.

imachining is not a released product yet. It has been given to many Solidcam users to beta test.