Power Supply,Is it working?

Thread: Power Supply,Is it working?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power Supply,Is it working?

Yea I know sounds silly,but me being a beginner and purchasing a PS off of CL and not knowing anything about it.So today is the second time I tried my hand at anodizing but the results are not that good.To me the layer of anodizing looks very thin or transparent.My problem is and may not be my only problem is my power supply.I cannot adjust the current,but when I adjust the voltage then the current will go up.For this project I am anodizing 6" disk that is about 1" thick so I believe I should have set the current to about 3-4 amps.As I have read you turn your volts up then you adjust the current,that does not work for me.I have to keep turning my volts up which I get around 15 volts then the current is about 2amps. If I turn the voltage up more then PS will trip out.I check all my connection,clean those area's but still current is still very low.Its a Hewett Packer 20v/20amps but it wouldn't even come close to maxing out the current.So if all connections are good that just leaves the PS as the problem? What else can I check to get the amps to respond?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Supply,Is it working?-cas1-jpg   Power Supply,Is it working?-cas2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power Supply,Is it working?

I assume its a DC Power Supply?
    The current is determined by the Voltage AND the Resistance of the load.So in your case you would adjust the voltage in order to get the correct current flowing.
    In saying that, the power supply should NOT be tripping out at 3A if its a 20A Power supply.

First thing I'd do is find a another way to measure the Current and compare to the local reading. Make sure they concur. See if is is actually tripping out early.
    If it is, you will need to find someone to fix it for you.

If it isn't, you will need someone to fix the Ammeter for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of info in this video:

Downloads
    Uploads

Sterob thank you for your response back. Its trips out when the voltage goes up to high.I drop it back down to about 16vdc but when I was trying to get amps up to about 4 by raising the voltage it would trip then. I like the ideal checking the amps I need to do that.
    Klaas I have been watching those and the one you posted several times which is what has me fired up that I can do this. I believe I started wrong with wrong PS I don't know if its constant current or not. Here's my second attempt I believe I contaimnated my dye cause I forgot to wash part off. But look how thin the finish is.
    Guys could someone suggest a PS that's about 10 amps,my budget is around 175.00 or less maybe little more. Here's what I was looking at Regulated Switch Mode Power Supply HY1520EX - Best Deals on Mastech Variable DC Power Supply

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Supply,Is it working?-img_2193-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow now that is what I need,heck I was looking at battery charger today.Your link klaas is same price,I can't go wrong with that.Thank you,just same me some money yahoooo

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad I could help you CantWeld