Cold weather concerns for aqueous coolant

Thread: Cold weather concerns for aqueous coolant

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cold weather concerns for aqueous coolant

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, rare poster these days.

I bought a Fadal VMC40 with 88HS control.
    I live in New England and my "shop" lacks climate control other than a large garage bay door and a giant fan. That's fine for the summer, but now it's October and we've already had frost warnings.
    I'm not as concerned with linear thermal expansion and how cold affects the machine. Today I'm writing because I use a 5-7% concentration of petroleum based aqueous coolant. I'm worried it could freeze over the winter.
    To add further complications, the company I'm renting my bay from uses their side of the shop for storing their work trucks. While there is a wall that divides us, the joists are open and exposed. If they leave a bay door open to drive 8 trucks out, single file, a lot of cold is getting inside.
    This makes me extremely hesitant to get a stand up heater; it would be running non stop just like the electric meter.
    I'm wondering if I should drain my coolant and close shop or consider an aquarium heater for the coolant? I mean, it doesn't have to be a piping 85 degrees. I just need to keep the coolant above 32. I used to have an aquarium with cichlids - I know a drop in heater would work and the volume is similar. Maybe I could dilute the coolant with a bit of antifreeze?

I just don't know for sure so I figured I'd check in and ask. Thanks in advance.