Problem Rusted Hiwin Linear Bearings

Thread: Rusted Hiwin Linear Bearings

Default Rusted Hiwin Linear Bearings

Hello,

I recently replaced the y-shaft rail guides on my CNC machine with Hiwin Linear Guides.

I took a long time to fit the new rails on the machine for lack of time, and when I at last finished, I think the machine improved a lot!

My problem, it that for the same lack of time, and during the Christmas period, the machine was not used very much.

I went yesterday to do some task on it, and I looked horrified, how one of the Hiwin rails was badly rusted in one area.

I am trying to send a picture to show for how badly, how bad, I am referring to.

I don't think it had any leak from the roof or so, as the wood panel below has any sign of damage.

Is this normal that the linear guides can get so bad in such a short period of time.

The workshop is a little humid, but the rest of the machines has a little of rust on unprotected steel surfaces but anything similar to this.

Is it ruined the rail? Could I do anything to try to correct it?

I have to say that until 3 weeks ago, I didn't noticed anything like this on the machine, and I was looking at that area.

Many thanks in advance for all your help and kind regards from Spain,

Alberto

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rusted Hiwin Linear Bearings-dsc00086-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rusted Hiwin Linear Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by pagliaso View Post
    Hello,

I recently replaced the y-shaft rail guides on my CNC machine with Hiwin Linear Guides.

I took a long time to fit the new rails on the machine for lack of time, and when I at last finished, I think the machine improved a lot!

My problem, it that for the same lack of time, and during the Christmas period, the machine was not used very much.

I went yesterday to do some task on it, and I looked horrified, how one of the Hiwin rails was badly rusted in one area.

I am trying to send a picture to show for how badly, how bad, I am referring to.

I don't think it had any leak from the roof or so, as the wood panel below has any sign of damage.

Is this normal that the linear guides can get so bad in such a short period of time.

The workshop is a little humid, but the rest of the machines has a little of rust on unprotected steel surfaces but anything similar to this.

Is it ruined the rail? Could I do anything to try to correct it?

I have to say that until 3 weeks ago, I didn't noticed anything like this on the machine, and I was looking at that area.

Many thanks in advance for all your help and kind regards from Spain,

Alberto

You should be able to clean it up with 3M Scotch-brite pads and then coat with antirust

Mactec54

Hi Mactec54,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and advice. I will do as you suggest.

Do you think that the live of the linear guides and specially the carriages will be very much compromised after this?

Many thanks and kind regards from Spain,

Alberto

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pagliaso View Post
    Hi Mactec54,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and advice. I will do as you suggest.

Do you think that the live of the linear guides and specially the carriages will be very much compromised after this?

Many thanks and kind regards from Spain,

Alberto
    No should have a normal life, just keep an antirust lube on the rails, if the rust has pitted the ground bearing area this will hold more lube, for a routers use this won't cause any problems

Just clean them down every few months and re-lube them

Mactec54

I am very glad to hear that, and many thanks for the information on how to maintain the bearing area Mactec54.

Sorry to have taken so long in replying. I have to review my settings as I don't know why I don't receive notices of the replies on my posts

Thanks and kind regards from Spain,

Alberto