Madcam vs. Rhinocam - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Madcam vs. Rhinocam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Hi DD,

I will answer best I can in side your text! BTW Joakim is away on vacation.

Hopefully this has been of a help to you.

Mike

Hi Turmite,

Thanks for the reply and help! I'm beggining to really like MadCam alot the more I use it. I found a simple way to do the 90 degree increments with my rotary table that I was talking about using the '5 axis menu'.

What I did was the following:

Start with your rectangular stock in Rhino (needs a flat surface on each side). Orient object on the center of the axis in Rhino > select 'for tool calculation' > select cutter > select options> select 4-5 axis > select 3D rough. Let it rough the top. Now select: '5 axis c plane' menu and 'Set C Plane to object'. Next select one of the 90 degree sides of the stock (this orients the c-plane to that side) > select 3D rough. Let if rough that 90 degree side. Then I just repeat this on the bottom, and the other side. When I view in 'Simulate' it rotates the stock perfectly at 90 degree increments along the center axis and draws the toolpath correctly. Very cool!

The only thing I need to do is just put a piece of code after each 90 degree turn to pause the job so I can rotate the rotary table manually. I'm still running the trial so haven't been able to test the code out but I can't see any issues with this method right now.

-DD

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep that will work and I have used it, but I didn't know if you were wanting to edit the code or not. Without an automated a axis, you have to edit the code to add the pause.

Glad to have helped. Have you noticed that the more you tinker with MadCam, the more you find little tricks that make it even more fun to use?

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Have you noticed that the more you tinker with MadCam, the more you find little tricks that make it even more fun to use?

Mike
    Yes, it works great once you get the swing of it.

I will admit that at first it took me a long time to just figure how to get some basic cutting paths. The instruction are a bit vague for starting off, but once you get the swing of it it's very powerful and easy. It's also very fast at creating the toolpaths, wow!

I use Mach 3. As far as post processors for this I see it has 'Mach3 5 Axis' and 'Mach 3' . If I am doing the 90 degree cuts using a rotary axis like I described above which post processor would I use for this?

Thanks-

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Helo DD,

Yes I think I would. You can customize the posts to your needs, for instance in your case, a M1 pause to manually rotate the axis, but I think you will need to delete the actual rotational move and edit it to just tell you where to rotate the fixture to.....Kinda like a gentle reminder. What you really need to do, is concentrate on getting a motorized a axis.....I promise you it is a lot more fun!

Mike

ps I don't know for sure, but I think Joakim will be back from vacation this week

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Default Re: Madcam vs. Rhinocam

MADCAM is worthless for beginner like me when there is not tutorials for beginner - it is 3 weeks now since I bought MADCAM 7 5X --- I managed to get it to work on the 4 axis ( confuse like hell with Simulteanous VS Index in both 4X and 5X ' I do not have 5 Extra version) --- all tutorials videos does not have models to download so beginner like me can follow to learn. I regret to buy MADCAM - I did not know what to choose between Rhinocam or Madcam - even thought MADCAM affordable more than Rhinocam --- I am willing to pay for TUTOR who can help me - I have no issue with 3 axis - I have issues to understand and setting the 4 axis & 5 axis on my Trunion table especially the (Simultaneous & Index feature) --- i tried so hard learning the 4 axis Simultaneous and got this to come out. I have no clue what I am doing but I am happy to explore --- it is funny the model bouncing and turning like madness, I really do not know what is going on and got so frustrate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12