Project Curves?

Thread: Project Curves?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Project Curves?

I don't know how to make this work.

I want to flow a curve along the surface of the model, just a profile curve. There doesn't seem to be a way to specify the depth of the cut. Only "Stock To Leave."

If I set it to a positive number, the toolpath is above the model.
    If I set it to 0, the toolpath is on the surface of the model.
    If I set it to a negative number, the toolpath is below the bottom of the model.

If I want to cut along the curve, onto the surface of the model 0.020. how do I do that?

Similar Threads:

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Project Curves?

Sorry, I don't understand, isn't -0.020 what you are looking for?

Alternatively lower the curve where you want it. If it is a 3D surface project the curve onto the surface, make an offset downwards 0.020 and use the new curve.

Downloads
    Uploads

I want -0.020 relative to the top surface.
    I get -0.020 down below the BOTTOM surface.

Yes, I can force the same results a different way, but it seems others get this function to work.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did an irregular box and used MadCam's Project Curve feature, please note that the projected curve is above the entire model. This is a tool path with a 5 mm ball mill with -2 mm Stock to Leave. Is this what you are looking for?

Project Curves?-untitled-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Curves?-untitled-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. That is what I am trying to do.
    When I use negative stock to leave, the toolpaths generate below the bottom of the model. Below z-zero, not below the top of the model.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is only one way you can cause the toolpath to hit the bottom, and that is if you set a greater Stock to Leave than half the cutter diameter. It is a known habit and the reason is that the the cutter will "plunge" through the top surface during the calculation of the tip position, it is simply a mathematical issue.
    There are two ways around the problem. Either use a larger cutter when you generate the tool path, it doesn't matter if you double the size as it is a Z-level operation only. Or, you can create a toolpath with Stock to Leave set to zero and then move the path where you want it.
    If the depth is important (like in projected depth on a non linear surface), you should instead project the curve on to the surface with Rhino project commands and make an offset curve. Then, you can use MadCam's Along Curve instead on the new curve.