Cut quality problem - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut quality problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cut quality problem

I just set up a dial indicator to check my X,Y. Backed off indicator a known amount, re zeroed and ran file. Went back to my known offset via MDI move.... both axis back to exact zero (on a .0005" indicator)

Downloads
    Uploads

Seems a lot of lines there to me.
    Try un checking the radius comp and see how it looks.

Myself for a finish pass I'd drop Z to full depth a minimum of 0.6mm away from the surface.
    Then lead-in for a pass from there.

In theory there should only be a few lines afaic.
    The usual lead-in etc bits at program start - the starting cut position - the arc R and the next position at 90 degrees - the next arc R and the 180 degree position - lead out - program finish position - end.

That's what I get anyway. Looks like it's compensating at every move for some reason as was suggested by mecanix.

I don't do inches

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Seems a lot of lines there to me.
    Try un checking the radius comp and see how it looks.

Myself for a finish pass I'd drop Z to full depth a minimum of 0.6mm away from the surface.
    Then lead-in for a pass from there.

In theory there should only be a few lines afaic.
    The usual lead-in etc bits at program start - the starting cut position - the arc R and the next position at 90 degrees - the next arc R and the 180 degree position - lead out - program finish position - end.

That's what I get anyway. Looks like it's compensating at every move for some reason as was suggested by mecanix.

I don't do inches
    This code is a fairly complex cam shape.

Downloads
    Uploads

A reply from the Mach3 forum for this problem....

Gazillion of short segments, no arcs.
    Even setting lookahead sky high will not help you having better part.
    Your CAM is not generating G2/G3 code, only G1, which is linear interpolation versus circular interpolation.
    I have no knowledge on madcam, I use Aspire (as is Tweakie) where I can do a curve fit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    I have no knowledge on madcam, I use Aspire (as is Tweakie) where I can do a curve fit.
    Had a look at your gcode and was right on the tolerance between linear motions. I count 895 lines into your program where ideally you'd need a good 10,000 lines to get a half-decent edge/surface finish with linear motions output. That program would be perfectly fine for roughing the part, perhaps not so much at finishing it though.

RE your latest question. Try to see if you can find a setting within the CAM doc where is say "Output Arcs, or IJK"
    Quick search returned this link also where member dcd121 described ideal settings for curves for your CAD/CAM, see if this can be of any use to you:
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/madca...s-circles.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Mechanix, unfortunately I already have my settings like in the link you posted. But, you gave me an idea. I'm going to rebuild this shape with 10k points. It may make the lines so small I won't have any chopiness.

Did you look on page 1, I posted 2 screenshots of Madcam settings that I don't know if I should leave or change

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you look on page 1, I posted 2 screenshots of Madcam settings that I don't know if I should leave or change
    Missed that, sorry. The only option of interest seems to be "Convert Curves to Arc and lines" (in the first screengrab/bottom). Although not exactly sure what this do because Arcs & Lines are two very different motions.
    Worth trying postprocessing to see if you are getting IJK (arc) output in the program with the option enabled?

I'm going to rebuild this shape with 10k points. It may make the lines so small I won't have any chopiness.
    That is certainly an option I'd tryout if option above fails.

Downloads
    Uploads

How would I know if I'm getting arc output by looking at the gcode?

Downloads
    Uploads

are these settings correct?
    For the first screengrab (2Dmilling), I meant to say; try with the option "Convert Curves to Arc and Line" checked and see if you get IJK arc motions when postprocessing the program (see attached).
    If for some reason you can't get those IJK Arcs motions to output (G2/G3), and therefore limited to linear motions only (G1), then your idea of increasing the number of points onto the model itself to 10k is not a bad idea.

How would I know if I'm getting arc output by looking at the gcode?
    (G2/G3) Arc motions
    (G0/G1) Linear motions

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut quality problem-w-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Checking convert to arcs and lines did not change the Mach3 gcode post.

I did find this thread. It's another program that converts post, or a separate CAM package all together?

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/madca...-arcs-yet.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I did find this thread. It's another program that converts post, or a separate CAM package all together?
    Good try. Sorry to hear that didn't worked out.
    The Arc fitting add-on appears to be a plugin or the MecSoft's RhinoCAM package on its own, hard to say from the OP's visuals.

https://mecsoft.com/blog/how-to-incr...path-accuracy/

Downloads
    Uploads

Just tried convert to arc and lines. Made it worse.

5000 points is too much for my machine. It's trying to start and stop every 0001", even with constant velocity on.

I changed tool tolerance to. 01, .001, .0001. .01. All with various results.

In a nutshell I can now definitely see it's cutting small straight lines. That's why I'm getting the finish I'm getting.

I'd love to try code by another cam package that uses g2/g3.

This Madcam forum has been slow. Is Madcam still going strong with new coding and updates, or should I look elsewhere?

This is my first CAM package, and I really like how I've adapted to using it. I really don't want to change

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast