Simulator behavior with latest versions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simulator behavior with latest versions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Simulator behavior with latest versions

The 2017 simulator version I had been using finally came to an unusable crawl - I assume due to Windows updates, so I attempted to update - both Rhino/MadCAM 5 & 6. The simulator in the 2019 MadCAM versions has the draw stock option disabled, am I correct? All the other options work fine.

I then downgraded to the latest 2018 versions. I ran in Windows 8 compatible mode after running the Windows compatibility troubleshooter. Everything works fine except that the cut area is no longer shown using the bit color (as opposed to staying with the stock color) making it difficult to see what has been cut and by what bit. Is it possible to get this feature back?

Also I think it would be great if the draw stock option can be put back into the 2019 versions (20190605 for MC6 & 20190514 for MC5). It will probably run OK for me now in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Simulator behavior with latest versions

Quote Originally Posted by trung999 View Post
    The 2017 simulator version I had been using finally came to an unusable crawl - I assume due to Windows updates, so I attempted to update - both Rhino/MadCAM 5 & 6. The simulator in the 2019 MadCAM versions has the draw stock option disabled, am I correct? All the other options work fine.

I then downgraded to the latest 2018 versions. I ran in Windows 8 compatible mode after running the Windows compatibility troubleshooter. Everything works fine except that the cut area is no longer shown using the bit color (as opposed to staying with the stock color) making it difficult to see what has been cut and by what bit. Is it possible to get this feature back?

Also I think it would be great if the draw stock option can be put back into the 2019 versions (20190605 for MC6 & 20190514 for MC5). It will probably run OK for me now in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Thank you.
    Hi,
    The latest version of madCAM 6 SR 6 2019-06-05 (5-June-2019) does allow stock in the Simulator.
    Example if cutting from a stock cylinder in madCAM using 4Axis or Axis version.
    Highlight Model and Click on Select Surface Icon.
    Select cutter that you use to perform the ToolPath
    Go to the 4X or 5X tab in the madCAM toolbar and set Axis of Revolution.
    This will make the cylinder stock model that also will be active in the simulator.
    Click on simulator and make sure you have selected Draw Stock.
    Then run the simulator and you will see a round stock instead of the previous Square Stock.
    Joakim is very busy and has lots more to do on the madCAM program and portions of the simulator like saving the simulated file.
    Eventually he will update the Help section with how to show stock and use the Voxel Size.
    Some simulator colours can be changed by changing the colours in the Layers section.
    So I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mauri.

You are right that it does allow the stock option. I created a simple file with a cube and a hole and tried it again however MadCAM 6 crashed with errors CutStockBox & TooManyPoints (Running in W8 compatibility mode did not help with version 6). Regarding changing simulation colors, I could only find option for stock and I will upload some pictures to clarify.

It generated a RhinoDotNetCrash that says: "[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path
    at System.IO.Directory.GetParent(String path)
    at fivexcnc.CutterDLG.CutterDLG_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba ckHelper(Object obj)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(Exec utionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba ck(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba cks()
    [END ERROR]
    "

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simulator behavior with latest versions-cut-color-crash-jpg   Simulator behavior with latest versions-different-stock-cut-colors-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Trung999,
    Are you sure you downloaded the latest madCAM release 2019-06-05 (21 MB) ?
    I am also using the latest Rhino 6 update, but all versions since the madCAM 6 simulator fix have worked.
    This is not crashing in the simulator with my most complex 4 axis simultaneous models.
    I am running Windows 10 with the latest updates and ever since this release have had no issues.
    Cut colour is located in the Layers Tab for example the toolpaths colours is the profile cut color, click the square to change it.
    You can change colours on all activated items under the Layers tab, like your model colour.
    Crashes in Rhino only occurred in the prior version of madCAM 6 (simulator issue) but not with the latest version of madCAM 6.
    Regards,
    Mauri.
    ps. I did see you changed the cut colour in your crash picture.
    Include your example in the next post so I can test the crash for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mauri R View Post
    Trung999,
    Are you sure you downloaded the latest madCAM release 2019-06-05 (21 MB) ?
    I am also using the latest Rhino 6 update, but all versions since the madCAM 6 simulator fix have worked.
    This is not crashing in the simulator with my most complex 4 axis simultaneous models.
    I am running Windows 10 with the latest updates and ever since this release have had no issues.
    Cut colour is located in the Layers Tab for example the toolpaths colours is the profile cut color, click the square to change it.
    You can change colours on all activated items under the Layers tab, like your model colour.
    Crashes in Rhino only occurred in the prior version of madCAM 6 (simulator issue) but not with the latest version of madCAM 6.
    Regards,
    Mauri.
    ps. I did see you changed the cut colour in your crash picture.
    Include your example in the next post so I can test the crash for you.
    Hi Mauri,

I tried so many things, wasn't sure anymore so decided to redo the tests. This time no crash but it sure did not behave normal. I notice results varies, sometime it works. I am attaching the test file that has 2 cubes and a long object with some simple pocketing. Individually the little cubes simulate perfectly, together the result is ragged. The long object bombs out on 'draw stock', no crash but nothing shown. I am also attaching a pdf with more details. BTW I don't have a layer tab to change color, however I do see that the cut color is correct (I am sure it was wrong in the later 2018 version).

Actually I could only upload the pdf file, not the 3dm file (Invalid). Can you upload a 3dm file?

Thank you for checking.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Trung999,
    I have no issue in displaying a smooth cut in both examples.
    You need to use FINE simulation to get the best Simulation view possible.
    Also you can enhance it more by going to advanced tab and adjusting the Voxel Size, I used 0.19 but sometimes Zero is best..
    My Pic Below in PDF file.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mauri

I changed simulation setting to Fine and it did have an effect this time (only with the cubes). I have tried voxel size before as well. I updated the pdf file to reflect additional testing done as well as detailing my hardware/software setup. The 1st part with 2 cubes work fine. The 2nd part with the long object cannot display stock. My other much bigger files have the same problem with stock display.

I thought may be it was my monitor (3440x144 ultra wide) so tried various lower resolutions and other Windows compatibility settings to no avail. I am not able to figure out why my set up does not work. Clearly yours does. Will continue testing if I can think of something else to try.

Trung

Downloads
    Uploads

Trung,
    Monitor Display has nothing to do with the outcome.
    This is my run, I tried to make it similar to your example.
    I used a 5mm endmill.
    I then processed it and it turned out just fine, however I had the other two cubes in the picture as well with their profiles active, but the model not selected.
    If I process your long by itself then I get the same issue as you.
    If I select all items and process all in Simulation using Voxel 0.19 then all is smooth.
    I think there is a screen refresh action missing in the Simulation process that is preventing it to show the correct final display.
    I hope Joakim reads this and has a look at his final part of the Simulation process.
    I have no issues on more complex parts.
    I will do more testing, but that is it for now.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trung,
    If I process your long by itself then I get the same issue as you.
    If I select all items and process all in Simulation using Voxel 0.19 then all is smooth.
    Mauri.
    Wow! How interesting. I selected all objects together as you did, using Fine resolution with Voxel=.19 and Draw Stock does work! Voxel=.5 not as smooth but goes faster. Voxel=0 and it's ragged again.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simulator behavior with latest versions-selected-together_fine-v0-5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Trung,
    I tried another test, just doing the holes and slot but not the cubes.
    Voxel=.14 and no display of anything but the stock and it displays OK in simulation.
    Try it and let us know.
    The simpler the simulation the more you have to play with the settings.
    Also did a just holes version with Voxel=.14, however I have to select this setting twice to make it display correctly.
    Voxel=.14 is the lowest it will accept with this display.
    Tried just the Cube with small hole Voxel=0.01 to 0.06 all OK except for the centre spigot in the display.
    Again only the stock was selected in the simulation.
    Tried just the cube with the Big hole it picked Voxel=.06 all displayed OK, however it takes a long time.
    So by selecting to display the cutter in simulation that's when issues occur.
    I have found another issue, if you just select the large cube with only the stock clicked when you look at the Voxel it always selects .06, if you change it upwards to 1.0 it makes not difference it is as slow as .06 and displays correctly the same as .06.
    Once you redo, while in simulator and select a large number then the display quickens but looks rough.
    Changing it lower down to .06 while still in the simulator make not difference until you relaunch the simulator.
    It seems to pick the initial setting and will not change it until it is out of some limit set in the program.
    Not sure what is going on, only Joakim can work this one out for us.
    This is enough from me.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simulator behavior with latest versions-ok-simulation-jpg   Simulator behavior with latest versions-ok-simulation-just-holes-jpg   Simulator behavior with latest versions-cube-v-06-jpg   Simulator behavior with latest versions-cube-big-hole-v-06-jpg  

Last edited by Mauri R; 07-21-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trung,
    I tried another test, just doing the holes and slot but not the cubes.
    Voxel=.14 and no display of anything but the stock and it displays OK in simulation.
    Try it and let us know.
    The simpler the simulation the more you have to play with the settings.
    Also did a just holes version with Voxel=.14, however I have to select this setting twice to make it display correctly.
    Voxel=.14 is the lowest it will accept with this display.
    Tried just the Cube with small hole Voxel=0.01 to 0.06 all OK except for the centre spigot in the display.
    Tried just the cube with the Big hole it picked Voxel=.06 all displayed OK, however it takes a long time.
    So by selecting to display the cutter in simulation that's when issues occur.
    I have found another issue, if you just select the large cube with only the stock clicked when you look at the Voxel it always selects .06, if you change it upwards to 1.0 it makes not difference it is as slow as .06 and displays correctly the same as .06.
    Once you redo, while in simulator and select a large number then the display quickens but looks rough.
    Changing it lower down to .06 while still in the simulator make not difference until you relaunch the simulator.
    It seems to pick the initial setting and will not change it until it is out of some limit set in the program.
    Not sure what is going on, only Joakim can work this one out for us.
    This is enough from me.
    Regards,
    Mauri.
    I think clicking in the RED spare a few times helps in the resetting of all the settings including and most importantly the Voxel setting.
    Otherwise it will keep the last Voxel setting until you select one outside its limits.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mauri,

I am attaching a pdf file. Basically duplicating your findings except for the last one, changing voxel on the fly with the large cube.

Thanks,
    Trung

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Trung,
    What is your hardware spec? Do you have a good GPU?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    Trung,
    What is your hardware spec? Do you have a good GPU?
    Hi Sven,

I am attaching a pdf with actual screen shots and links to hardware used.

Basically a PC with a 4-core i7-4790 with 24GB of RAM, an NVIDIA Quadro M2000 graphics card, a Dell Ultra Wide U3415M 34"monitor (3440x1440 resolution). The only thing I thought might be uncommon is the ultra wide screen monitor but Mauri doesn't think it has any effect. In an earlier attached pdf I detailed some Windows compatibility (W8) and screen resolution (lower settings) tests.

Trung

Downloads
    Uploads

Trung,
    Your PC specs are OK.
    Naturally if you choose a very fine Voxel setting then the more power the better.
    I have finally worked out how to properly change the Voxel setting and make them stick.
    Once you change the Voxel in the Simulator you then must click the red square RESET button before starting the Simulation.
    That will make the Voxel setting you have chosen used in the Simulation.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mauri,

I might as well report another problem. Perhaps you have time to check. Model stock is not properly simulated in this version.

Thanks,
    Trung

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    This is an example we carved from hard brass in madCAM Simulation over 5 years ago, the cutter used was a .5mm TBN with a .05mm cut.
    I ran the madCAM Simulation with a Voxel of .05 just to see how good it looks in comparison to the actual cut.
    Pictures below of the Last Supper example.
    I also included the off the Mill as cut example as a comparison.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simulator behavior with latest versions-lastsuppersimulationexample-jpg   Simulator behavior with latest versions-round-last-supper-mill-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Trung,
    I had no issues.
    My example cut simulation.
    I also tried a number of Voxel values with no problems.
    I made the Model like the Model you made in the PDF.
    I also sent you my Rhino file.
    See below.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simulator behavior with latest versions-rhino-model-jpg   Simulator behavior with latest versions-rhino-model-cut-profile-jpg   Simulator behavior with latest versions-rhino-model-simulation-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Mauri,

I ran your toolpath and got the same result you did. However I did not explain the problem well. My stock is not uniform hence the problem. I am attaching a pdf file to explain better.

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by trung999 View Post
    Mauri,

I ran your toolpath and got the same result you did. However I did not explain the problem well. My stock is not uniform hence the problem. I am attaching a pdf file to explain better.

Thanks,
    Trung,
    madCAM Simulator is not intended to show complex Stock shapes, it will show Cylinders or 3D squares or rectangles.
    If yo do not want it to cut Air, then you need to Wire cut your example in two parts and the perform profiles on both parts separately and then simulate them together.
    In other words all different block heights should be profiled cut separately.
    Regards,
    Let us know if this helps, I will send some examples later today.
    Mauri.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast